Is there any other site besides TurboTax to do taxes for free or cheap?

I use to do taxes with turbo tax and pay $29 or so . Last year I did it with a professional whom charges me $500, I had a bigger return but he’s a bit dishonest and don’t want to do it with him anymore. Filing for me was easy because I was single, not kids, regular income, etc. But last year I got married, spend in wedding, honeymoon, then got pregnant, had some medical bills. I want to do my taxes separated, I think will be easier than join. Which website is good for taxes?

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

There are several - see https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-feder... . When a dishonest preparer gets caught, and they do, the IRS looks at the other returns they prepared for dishonesty, co don't be surprised if your return from last year gets audited at some point, and you have to pay back that extra refund, plus get find. You can file as married filing separately (NOT single) but your refund will be smaller that if you file joint. And none of the expenses for your wedding or honeymoon can bee deducted. And uless you had medical expenses well over $10,000 for the year, you get no writeoff there either.

• Carol2 years agoReport

Yes, that what I was wondering, if wedding expenses and a $800 in medical bills make any difference :( yes I don’t going to do taxes with that man anymore. Thanks :)

Yes, that what I meant, married but filing separate. Someone told me is not big difference, but I wasn’t sure. Yes, maybe TurboTax is not a good option anymore. Thanks.

• Amy

You do need to talk to a tax preparer if you want to compare filing jointly vs. filing separately. Filing jointly almost always lowers your tax bill, but with low income and large medical bills, you might be better off filing separately.

Still, you might pay the accountant more than the amount you can save.

If your state imposes an income tax, the state's website will link you to sites where you can file for free. Don't start on the IRS site because its recommendations don't all do state taxes.

"Married-Filing Separately" is normally the least advantageous filing status.

You may be leaving money on the table if you use that status.

Look into filing Jointly.

" I want to do my taxes separated"...............do you mean you want to file married but separated ?? that makes no sense + you will have more of a refund if you file as married jointly nad no, it's not easier to file as separated

as far as a tax program - look at the IRS site under "free efile".................there's many different companies to choose from ( I don't recommend turbo tax; I used to use them but they have changed, so I don't use them anymore )

Source(s): I have been efiling for many years
    • Carol2 years agoReport

es, that what I meant, married but filing separate. Someone told me is not big difference, but I wasn’t sure. Yes, maybe TurboTax is not a good option anymore. Thanks.