I want to write my friends a message, but I want to write them in their native languages. Would this be okay, or would it come off as rude ?

I have several friends who speak English as a second language. I have always wanted to write them something in their native languages ( respectively Spanish and Tagalog and perhaps I will also write my friend who speaks French as a second language.) I do not want to do this to impress them, but to help further strengthen our bonds with one another. I am just curious as to whether this act would be perceived as a good thing that shows that I am trying to better understand them and their world or would it be viewed as trying too hard. I know it may simply depend on the individual. Personally, I think it would be viewed as a sincere attempt of strengthening the connections between my friends and I. I plan to edit and ensure that the messages are as grammatically correct and correct in wording as I possibly can. I have been learning phrases in all of these languages. What do you think ?

Favorite Answer

I think that's a heartfelt and sincere gesture, learning a language isn't easy, and it shows you are interested in the things that makeup your friends. If you're worried about how it'll be perceived, maybe clarify your reasoning in the letter, but make sure to not come across as arrogant. If your friends know who you are, they'll most likely understand your intentions regardless, though. Best of luck, I'm sure your friends will love the letters!

It really is not possible to answer your question. You must know your friends better than we do. This is a judgement call you have to make. Do you know if they communicate with you in English because they think it is the only language you understand or are they doing it to practise their English. I have a friend who is French. We originally met through a pen-pal scheme set up by our schools. I always wanted to communicate in French but he always wanted to communicate in English. If we were out somewhere we sometimes received strange looks because I would be talking away in French, he in English but it was also clear a conversation was happening.

Do it as you Like because it defines who you are and what you want to do is your own will so do it