Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 years ago

Black screen with white enter password box whenever I start my computer?

My brother tried getting into my computer while I was gone and entered the wrong password too many times. Now, whenever I start my pc, a black screen with a white password box comes up. I tried my first ever password and it worked, but it's annoying having to do that same process whenever I turn my pc on. I'm using Windows 10. Is there any way I can go into settings and remove this?

Favorite Answer

This does not sound like a Windows feature. This sounds as though there is a BIOS password that has been enabled for normal use of the PC. You need to go into the BIOS set up and find the security settings that control the BIOS level passwords. There are normally two levels of password: one controls whether a password is necessary to load Windows; and the other controls access to the actual BIOS settings including whether a password is required, what the password is set to and which level of access requires the password. Some PCs have several different passwords for different features.

To get into the BIOS from Windows, open Settings and find the section that covers backup and recovery. You need to get into the advanced start-up options and select the option to get into the UEFI/BIOS. From there a restart should take you into the BIOS settings. There are other PC specific ways of getting into BIOS settings involving tapping or holding a certain key as the system starts to boot. You will probably need to enter the appropriate password at this point.

An alternative for a desktop PC that can work is to remove its power, open the PC and and remove the CMOS backup battery. Keep it out for a couple of hours, then replace the battery and the covers and reconnect power. The BIOS clock will be wrong, and some specific settings may also be lost.

I hope this helps.