Is it better to do a good thing for a bad course, or is it better to do a bad thing for a good cause?

Update:

Yes I know I misspelled cause, and then later in the sentence typed it correctly lol.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • small
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ultimately, it is the cause that matters more than the action itself.

• Anonymous
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

I could not disagree more. Literally anything can be justified by claiming you had 'good intentions.'

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Good action, bad cause.

• Gil
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

In other words, does the means justify the ends.

No.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

If one is unwitting, one is not "colluding" lol; thus, for self and soul, neither erring is unforgivable. What is more problematic: if one *knowingly* does good for bad, and/or if one *knowingly* does bad for good. An example of the latter: lying to officers of the State to protect A. Frank. In that case--depending on God as Absolute and one's own mores, and doing "bad" both "religiously" (thou shalt not bear false witness) and "patriotically" may be absolutely good.

Therefore, your question is too vague (fallacy of vagueness, which may indicate a psychologism of avoidance of constructive critical analysis; in this question, the avoidance may be re "what is the Good?").

Related:

"Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet;

"The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil;"

"The Great Divorce."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason. - T. S. Eliot -

• 2 years ago

What difference does it make to rank them? They're both fuct.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It is better to earn yourself a good merit.

• 2 years ago

Course or cause? I am accountable for some unintended results but not all. Otherwise, all actions have good or bad consequences, so motivation has little to do with the actual value of an act.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.