Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 3 years ago

My first gaming PC components list, any thoughts or mistakes?

Just wanna know if this is a good final PC build, ive been working on this list for a bit now for my first PC(with much help) & I would just like some feedback before I ordered all the components, ive picked the Intel BX80684I78700 8th Gen Core i7-8700 Processor(I was going to get the 8700k but I decided against it because I don't think ill need the upgrade), EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5 graphics card(I'm also looking at the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card if I want to spend a little more, will this work with everything else?) SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB Solid State Drive, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard, WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache, the Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop RAM memory(will this work fine if its just 2133Mhz or do I have to get a 2400Mhz or higher?) and the

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650PX 650W 80+ Platinum ATX12V power supply( would a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V work just as fine? if so I might get that instead, save a couple bucks) but anyways that's basically it, besides a

Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler with AMD AM4, but if I'm correct the i8700 processer comes with a fan already right? so I wont need to buy another fan? but anyways that's about it, any thoughts? am I missing anything or are any of these parts not compatible? or any other mistakes? thankyou!

also i already ordered my ATX mid tower gaming case, and I'm going to get windows 10 for my PC but do i HAVE to get that asap? i saw someone else's setup online and they mentioned that they didn't have windows or anything installed? though this could have been me misreading or misunderstanding them

Favorite Answer

It is basically one of the worst times in history to be buying or building a PC, right now! Both GPU and RAM prices are out of control and way beyond reasonable, even though CPU and SSD prices are very reasonable now.

Yes, for the i7-8700 you don't need an aftermarket cooler as it's not overclockable, and never will be overclockable, so you can just stick to the included cooler. GTX 1060's are some of the video cards that are heavily bought out by coin miners, so very few of them are available at reasonable prices right now.

This is your current system configuration according to PcPartPicker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dX6ycY

It costs US$1067.32 at the cheapest, even without including the case and Windows license. So you really ought to try to save money elsewhere if you have to. I would suggest switching to a Ryzen system instead. Here's an example with only the motherboard and processor switched, everything else is the same:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yMhGXP

The i7-8700 is replaced with a Ryzen 5 1600, which is also a 6-core/12-thread processor, $110 cheaper. All Ryzen processors are overclockable, usually anywhere between 3.8 to 4.0 GHz, if you want to do it. The motherboard is $116 cheaper. This costs only $839.73 altogether, $227 cheaper! With the money you saved, you can upgrade other components too, and come up with this system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/msTt6s

This one has the same motherboard and CPU as above, but other stuff has been upgraded. You can get rid of the 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo, and upgrade to a single full 1TB SSD by itself. The RAM has been upgraded to 8GB Corsair DDR4-3000, which is both faster than and the same price as the Kingston DDR4-2133 you had picked before. And the biggest feature is that you can now upgrade to a GTX 1060 from the GTX 1050 Ti, for only $24 more! The overall cost is $987.76, which is still $80 cheaper than your original system, and a much more capable system!

As for the Windows license. You can actually download Windows 10 for free from Microsoft as an ISO file which you would then install to a CD/DVD or a USB memory stick for installation on your system. Microsoft gives you a few days to try out Windows without activation, and you can try the various levels, such as Home, Pro, etc. You choose the version that you like (usually Home is more than sufficient), and then you can obtain a license later and enter it in. You can get cheaper licenses for Windows on various places, read the link down below. You can also conceivably run Windows 10 for free without activation forever, and the only issue you'll have is that you won't be able to change the desktop background screen!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/need-legal-cheap-win...

• ?

Looking at your previous posts, I know you are anxious about your first build and keep asking but if you keep posting you will keep getting new suggestions, more choice and more confusion. I would suggest you make a decision, stick to it, and start the build

If you don't get windows 10 now you will need an operating system of some sort such as Linux (which is free) otherwise how could you test the system to check everything works?

One suggestion is to try and get as much from the same seller, that way if a fault develops you don't end up in the situation with one seller blaming the other.

Finally you can get a windows 10 licence quite cheaply now through places like kinguin, scdkey

https://www.kinguin.net/category/15019/windows/

https://www.scdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-o...

You still need to create a W10 USB installer from windows 10 media creation tool (using a working computer and an 8GB flash drive)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/...

Thoughts?

First of all, set up this configuration at pcpartpicker - that will make it much easier for anyone to comment on it, and they will also tell you immediately about any incompatibilities.

Next, if this is supposed to be a gaming system, the CPU is way overpowered for the GPU (or the GPU is underpowered for the CPU). You're also missing a display (or at least a mention of the resolution you want to play at), which would help to put your choice of GPU into perspective.

Fan: yes, the CPU will usually (depending on what packaging you buy it in) come with a cooler/fan, which will be noisy. Switching it for a different cooler has the potential to make your system quieter. I haven't checked what TDP the Mugen is set up for, but you won't be able to use this specific version anyway, since you can't mount a cooler with an AMD AM4 mountig kit onto an Intel socket ;-).

Everything else:

- what do you want to use the HDD for? You will usually want to install your games on the boot drive, which is going to be the SSD

- for the same reasons, that SSD is verging on being unuseable for this by being too small. A game installation for a single game will take up roughly 30 GB, same again roughly for the (my) Windows installation, and again for the Windows backup installation (Windows.old).

- Windows: if you want to play, you'll have to get it right away. Otherwise, you can run the system under Linux, but gaming under LInux will be limited.

- RAM: 8GB is a bit small. Workable, but small. For gaming only, it could be ok. As for RAM compatibility, you'll have to check the motherboard's specifications.

No