Who becomes president if both the president and the vice president resign?

I'm writing a book in which both the president and the vice president decide to resign from office at the same time. I've tried googling who would take over next, and I've seen two different answers. Some say the president pro tempore of the United States Senate is next, and some say that the Speaker of the House is next. Every source seems to list these two positions as the second and third options after the VP is no longer in office, but the sources differ in which comes first.

Update:

By the way, I'm not talking about who it would be in the current world. The book is set 50 years in the future, so any sort of exceptions to rules that would happen in our current circumstance wouldn't matter.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Speaker of the House, which right now it's Paul Ryan. That is, of course, if the President doesn't appoint a new Vice President in the meantime like Nixon did with Ford in December 1973 after Vice President Agnew resigned and in anticipation of his own. That action, often referred to as the Corrupt Bargain, sidestepped Speaker of the House Carl Albert.

The order of succession if the President resigns or leaves office is as follows:

•Vice President

•Speaker of the House of Representatives

•President Pro Tempore of the Senate

•Secretary of State

•Secretary of the Treasury

•Secretary of Defense

•Attorney General

•Secretary of the Interior

•Secretary of Agriculture

•Secretary of Commerce

•Secretary of Labor

•Secretary of Health and Human Services

•Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

•Secretary of Transportation

•Secretary of Energy

•Secretary of Education

•Secretary of Veterans Affairs

•Secretary of Homeland Security

For example, what that means is if the President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, etc., all the way down to, say, the Secretary of Energy, all were killed or simultaneously resigned, the Secretary of Education would become President of the United States. If literally everyone on the list is killed or resigns, well, then it's doesn't really matter because that would be the fall of the U.S. government.

• ...Show all comments
    • Will B
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

I've often wondered about that too, Carol. I did find this about it: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/01/for-state-of-the-union-address.html

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lare
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

the answer is written in the Constitution. read it sometime, you might find other interesting facts.

• 2 years ago

The Speaker of the House.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

If you aren't able to research your book, write a book about something you DO know about.

• Stephanie2 years agoReport

It's a fictional book set 50 years in the future, so technically I could have just made up some official-sounding title if I really wanted, it wasn't THAT big a deal. I'm not writing a textbook here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

an example: http://www.history.com/news/the-24-hour-president story may or may not be true(snopes says not) but the story tells what could happen.

• 2 years ago

pls see the Constitution of the United States on this. It's online. you want the amendments, one of the later ones, if I recall correctly

• 2 years ago

ten seconds of real research would give you the amswer

• Stephanie2 years agoReport

As I said, I DID research it, I just saw two different answers and wanted to double check which was correct. Thanks for not being helpful whatsoever.

• 2 years ago

https://www.popsugar.com.au/news/What-Order-Succes...

Basically, the whole line of potential successors....

Let's hope it doesn't get past the senate one (fourth in line)...

• Duck
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Speaker of the House is next.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

The speaker of the house

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It's the speaker of the house.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.