A prisoner contacted me from prison using Facebook messenger.?

Last night I was on Facebook messenger on my laptop. A guy messaged me and said he liked my page. We chatted a few minutes then he said he was in prison. I mean WTF! How does he get WiFi in prison! I blocked him immediately. Now I am wondering (1) if law enforcement will contact me for even chatting with someone like this. (2) is there anyway he can know where I live even though I was not on a mobile device?

• DON W
    Favorite Answer

Depending upon the prison, some inmates have limited access to the Internet (although not from their cells).

You aren't in any sort of trouble. And no, you're not in any danger. You blocked him--end of story.

If it was up to me, then criminals wouldn't have any internet access at all. But you have nothing to worry about. You aren't in any danger.

Some prisoner have limited, monitored internet access.

The person you were exchanging messages WAS NOT one of them. They were a CON ARTIST.

Why did you block me?

Yes I know where you live and I’m gonna come get you when I get out

• ?

You won't get in trouble, you had no way of knowing he was a prisoner. What puzzles me is how he got access to social media. Normally prisons severely restrict a prisoner's use of computers and a smartphone is a definite no-no.

No you will not get in trouble. If anything he will get in serious trouble. You didn't know he was in prison and he messaged you. Just don't delete the conversation so you have proof if anything is to happen. But you blocked him immediately so I don't believe you will.