When men and woman are in the hospital for surgery can they equally have low oxygen levels and have oxygen tube in their nose?

Update:

I just wonder that because when my mom is out in public, she finds she sees more older woman than older men with the oxygen tank in their nose. Maybe they both need it when they smoke maybe men refuse to wear it. That's why woman tend to live longer!

Update 2:

But when I am out in public when I c a person with an oxygen tube in their nose, it is mostly an older person either an old man or an old woman. I c it as equal!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

yes.

That is how doctro know teh lungs are failing and ther person is getting rady to die

• Jason
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There is actually a minor gender difference when it comes to the physiology of oxygenation, but it's not very much and really only comes into play in the predicted values during pulmonary function testing. But women do get COPD at a rate about 37% higher than men. The most common lung disorder requiring oxygen is severe COPD. So women do tend to use supplemental oxygen at a slightly higher rate than men but not because they fundamentally use oxygen differently.

Oxygen only treats one thing: Hypoxia. It doesn't fix the underlying lung problem. If the underlying problem doesn't cause low oxygen levels, then supplemental oxygen doesn't do anything and there's no need for it. There are countless lung disorders that don't require supplemental oxygen. COPD is the most common one that does. Women acquire COPD at higher rates than men and severe COPD tends to require oxygen. So women have a slightly higher rate of oxygen use.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT)
    • Jason
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Nobody knows why it's more prevalent in women. Controlling for smoking history, age, etc, women just get COPD at a higher rate than men.

• 2 years ago

I would guess that there are statistics somewhere to indicate who uses portable oxygen more, but in this case, I think it is more a matter of when and where you or your mother are out in public. You may be seeing different groups of people.

Both men and women can have the need to those tanks.

• 2 years ago

Yes. they can

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kay
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yes it can happen to men and women the same.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.