What does it mean when the boss says "I would prefer that you didn't"?

What do you really do when the boss uses the words "I prefer"? He will say something like "I'm not going to say that you can't take your vacation this week, but I would prefer that you wait until next week". So far this has not been a real problem, but I've been working on... show more What do you really do when the boss uses the words "I prefer"? He will say something like "I'm not going to say that you can't take your vacation this week, but I would prefer that you wait until next week".

So far this has not been a real problem, but I've been working on starting my own part-time sideline business and the boss from my full time job said "I would prefer that you didn't". The only real restriction on the books that my place has is I can't take a part-time job with a competitor while I'm working this job. Since the sidleline is a DJ/KJ business, it has nothing to do with my full-time job, but my boss is worried about the business interfering with my full-time job. He said I might "think" I have Saturday off and agree to DJ an event but if somebody quits or calls out, I might be required to work at the last minute and I would be expected to cancel my event and come to work, "I'm DJing a dance Saturday" is NOT an excuse.

At this point, I need to make some extra money, my full-time job doesn't pay enough. I barely make it paycheck to paycheck like most everyone there. Sometimes the bank account is down to $0 before the next paycheck. There is no savings, no retirement. I had to borrow money from my parents for car repairs just so I could get to work. I really need the money from this but my boss said he would prefer that I don't do it.