Do you write checks?

• Cara

I write a cheque every month for my twice-weekly milk delivery - we still have a milkman where I live, and there's no other way to pay him, as the dairy doesn't suggest it - and if I'm not carrying enough cash I also pay my hairdresser by cheque when I have my hair cut/done, as he doesn't take cards. I rarely write any other cheques.

• Amy

I've paid a local tax bill by check because the online system charges a service fee.

For most purchases I use a credit or debit card, or cash, or paypal.

I would use a check to pay an individual (e.g. a babysitter) rather than trust them with my credit card info, but it's faster to use Venmo or cash.

• Clive

No, I write cheques. Once in a blue moon. And here in the UK, there is very little need for it.

The banks did propose to abolish cheques completely, and ran into opposition that there are still times when they are needed. Paying a club subscription, maybe - they might not be set up to be paid by card, and if I go to a concert given by a local choral society, it's going to have to be cash or cheque.

But otherwise, all my bills get paid by direct debit, I pay in shops by debit card, and online banking does the rest.

No. Cash is king.

• tro

with a pen

Yes

Not too often any more. Maybe one or two checks/month.

No. I dont even know what is it and how does it work. I live in northern europe, we dont have that anymore. I saw people writing checks in france. I still do not understand if u have a debit or credit bank card why on earth do u need to write a check? Seems so redundant

Of course.

No. I am one of those people who cannot manage a checkbook. I use a debit card and when the money is gone, there's no way to bounce a check.

• Clive
      2 years agoReport

A debit card can still put you into overdraft. So that's no excuse.