Alan asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 years ago

Am I a catholic or deist?

I believe in god, I believe that god is a big male spirit, but not a human, or another living thing, I believe that god created the universe, god can still do miracles to all life in the universe, I believe that we are not the only life in this planet, I was baptized catholic, but now I think I might be in between Catholic & Deist, I see god in a more scientific way, I believe in Jesus as my savior, but I don't really follow christian teachings, besides going to church, confessing myself, & drinking the church wine, I'm not sure about the afterlife, but I'm aiming for a personal heaven, I believe we go to heaven, but not the Christian heaven, for example, I go to Heaven, & I live a life, that I wanted to live, like living with the Brady Bunch, I talk to god every night, & when I'm in need, god has really helped me, but I'm not sure whether I'm a catholic, deist, or both, what am I?

Okay the Catholic Church does not believe god is male. You be your own weird sect. You are more superstitious than most Christians while claiming to be more scientific.

You're nuts.

The Deists believed God created the universe, got it running, and then stepped back and didn't intervene or meddle. So they didn't believe in miracles. A miracle, by definition, is where God decides to suspend his own natural law, to make the sun stay still in the sky for an hour, to make one day's worth of lamp oil last 8 days, or to make a virgin have a baby. The Deists believed natural law was supreme, unbreakable even by God--which is one reason they tended to be scientists and inventors.

There's a parable Deists used to use called The Two Clock Towers. Suppose you lived in a town that had two clock towers. They both kept perfect time. One tower, the clockmaker lived in it and spent all his time maintaining it and keeping it running on time. The other tower, the clockmaker built it and then locked the door and left, and it's been running perfectly without any maintenance or intervention of any kind for 100 years.

Now which is the better clockmaker? Obviously the 2nd one, who built a clock that requires no maintenance. God being perfect, the most powerful, competent, perfect being we can imagine, could create a better universe if it just ran by itself and didn't need tinkering or watching over.

That's what a Deist would believe. Do you believe that?

If you just believe in God, but not all the Catholic window-dressing, if you talk to God and think he is active in your life in some way, then you're not a Deist, you're a THEIST.

Imho, your awareness is at the solar plexus or "wish, desire" level. You may be encountering resistance (regarding moving onto love chakra) as your soul leaves your body at night. There is a type of "desire barrier" between the solar plexus and love chakras. If and when you are either devoted to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and/or Sacred Heart of Jesus, and/or simply able to "love God completely," then imho your belief will become more Catholic, as more loving. And, being more specific, as well as loving, with your prayer intention, allows God and representatives to be more specific in their assistance. E.g., ask Saint Michael, Saint Gabriel, Saint Raphael, your patron Saint, and other very helpful Saints (e.g., Saint John of the Cross, Saint Catherine of Genoa, Saint Rose of Lima, Mother Mary, Mother Teresa, Saint Joseph, Saint Joan of Arc, Saint Mother Cabrini, and Saints Martha, Mary, and Lazarus to teach, guide, guard and heal your soul as your body sleeps at night, and to have angelic prompts to bring to your outer awareness helpful knowledge you've been given. It is a joy for these Saints to help you; they are tireless, and only ask your sincerity and willingness to learn more of God. Saint Paul, Mother Mary, and Saint Joseph are particularly good with science and integrating it with religion.

Related: "Interior Castle," Saint Teresa of Avila; "Autobiography of Saint Therese of Lisieux;" "The Imitation of Christ."