How to help my Siberian Husky not fear my German Shepherd?

I have a German Shepherd (1 year old) and a Siberian Husky (4 months old). I ve put off introducing them due to the current size difference between the two. Since the shepherd has been fixed, he seems to have calmed down around her, though. Recently they seemed very interested in each other near the fence usually... show more I have a German Shepherd (1 year old) and a Siberian Husky (4 months old). I ve put off introducing them due to the current size difference between the two. Since the shepherd has been fixed, he seems to have calmed down around her, though. Recently they seemed very interested in each other near the fence usually separating them. There was a lot of sniffing and playful gesturing going on, so I decided to test the waters a little bit. I acted like I was going to open the gate to see if the shepherd would react aggressively. He didn t. I inched the gate open slowly, keeping an eye on both dogs as I did. At first all they did was sniff at each other. When the shepherd started to try and play with the husky, however, she started to whine and cry very loudly as if he was hurting her. I never saw his teeth touch her in any way, nor did I see him step on her, so I assume her reaction was out of fear of the larger dog. I never saw him agress against her and he even whined when I took him back to his fenced area on his leash. What can I do to make my husky more comfortable with the shepherd? Should I just continue letting them interact with my supervision until she no longer seems afraid? The end goal is to have them comfortable enough with one another to live in the same space without my constant supervision.
5 answers 5