Why is science so technical in high school, shouldn't it be dumbed down for people who want jobs immediately?

Today in class we learned about DNA replication in bacteria. I don't know why I would need to know any of this especially since I plan on going to Fashion Institute of Technology to major in Accessory Merchandise. All he talked about and kept repeating over and over again was the DNA replication is... show more Today in class we learned about DNA replication in bacteria. I don't know why I would need to know any of this especially since I plan on going to Fashion Institute of Technology to major in Accessory Merchandise.

All he talked about and kept repeating over and over again was the DNA replication is bidirectional, that is it proceeds in opposite directions and always in the 5' to 3' end. DNA polymerase III adds nucleotids to a fragment of nucleic acid called a primer. It only adds in the 3' direction. He then said that there are these enzymes called helicases that unzip DNA creating a replication fork, with two stands a leading strand and a lagging strand. The lagging strands have fragments called Okazaki fragments. A new RNA primer has to be laid down and the DNA polymerase lays down a new DNA. Finally DNA ligase links the Okazaki fragments in the lagging strand.

Why do I need to know any of this stuff? Should we eliminate subjects like Biology from the high school curriculum or at least dumb it down?