Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Democrats: specifically, (and please, do be specific) --- what change would you like to see to our current gun laws?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John W
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Besides everything Lois mentioned ban assault weapons, gun kits, and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Make them uniform, nationwide. No more of different guns laws for every city, state, and zone.

• 2 years ago

Fixing ALL the loopholes in the current gun laws.

Taking all assault rifles off the streets with the exception of military and law enforcement personnel.

Background checks.

All of these things are what President Obama advocated.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I know it's popular to just troll on here but I'll answer with legitimate suggestions. I am liberal but I'm also a gun owner and I work with firearms professionally (armed security.)

1. All gun sales should require a background check, including private sales. (Yes I know that this newest shooter passed the background check.)

2. Mental health organizations, law enforcement, and other entities should do a better job entering information into the background check system so that it can actually be useful.

3. I think that there should be a two-tier gun ownership system.

Tier one would cover firearms like break-action, pump-action, lever-action, bolt-action, and revolver type centerfire firearms as well as any rimfire firearms. These would be treated more or less like they are now.

Tier two would cover semi-automatic centerfire firearms. This could be the "well regulated militia" part of the 2nd Amendment.

To qualify for tier two firearms one must take a course similar to the hunter certification that most states already implement before you can get a hunting permit. It would be like a cross between hunter safety certification and the FOID card that Illinois uses. It would be controlled at the state level and you could call it the "(State name) Citizens Militia." Any adult could take a class (free of charge) that covers basic firearm safety, basic preparedness, and maybe first aid or some other things. After you pass the class, you'll be "certified" for life (just like the hunter's safety certification) and you'll be approved to purchase a semi-auto centerfire firearm if you so choose. You'd still go through the background check at time of purchase. This will cover all of the aspects of the 2nd Amendment. It would have the "well regulated militia" aspect while also not infringing on the right to bear arms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

A waiting period - even as brief as 48 hours - before purchase of a handgun.

There are roughly 20,000 gun suicides each year. A waiting period won't stop all of them, of course. But, even if only 1 in 20 get a chance to see another sunrise, or sober up, or make up with their girlfriend... that's 1,000 lives saved.

• Rob
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

most states have a waiting period for hand guns unless you have a concealed carry permit for x days or until the background check comes back whichever is lower.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Universal background checks, an end to advertising guns for sale online, a ban on magazines that hold more than 4 rounds, a better system for keeping track of those who are prohibited from Guns, Banning of domestic abusers from having guns. Background checks for all ammunition purchases, strict storage requirements for guns, repeal of the ban on federal Research into gun fatalities and injuries, and make it easier to remove problem retailers from the industry. There's a lot of other things that I might want in a dream scenario but these are good start.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Model our gun laws on Japan's. They are described in the article at https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/10/03/natio...

• 2 years ago

-close the gun show loophole that lets people avoid background checks.

-Provide adequate due process for those on the "no fly list" AND ban those who are still on the list from buying firearms.

and Reinstate the BRADY BILL which has a 5-day waiting period to conduct background checks.

before the brady bill was struck down, it STOPPED thousands of illegal gun sale attempts IN THEIR TRAKCS. yes, felons attempted to buy guns legally!!!!

There's no guarantee that they would have been able to access guns in the black market. so stopping them in the legal market makes sense.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.