Why Is My Rescue Dog So Afraid Of Strangers?

I bought my rescue dog a year ago. I asked the rescue group regarding her history and they said they didn't know. She is 2 years old now. She is an adorable chihuahau-dauschund mix. Everyone says how cute she is and strangers like to come up to her. She will sniff strangers but will back away when they try to... show more I bought my rescue dog a year ago. I asked the rescue group regarding her history and they said they didn't know.

She is 2 years old now. She is an adorable chihuahau-dauschund mix. Everyone says how cute she is and strangers like to come up to her.

She will sniff strangers but will back away when they try to pet her. She is more weary of men than women.

When I get her nails cut at the vet she gets very scared and starts barking. The vets can't handle her so I have to put the muzzle on for them.

I suspect she had a bad beginning in life-however I don't know her history so don't know. Is there a chance she had a decent start like in a nice kennel but this is just part of her personality?

Sometimes when she's relaxing and laying down at home she has a worried/depressed look. I don't know why. She is very loving and affectionate with me in general. I treat her very well and try to give her a good home.

Do you think she had a rough start in life like neglect or abuse? Possibly taken too early from her mother?