Can Non-catholics get the sign of the cross with ash @ Ash Wednesday mass?

My boyfriend is a Catholic and I'm an Independent Baptist. Tomorrow afternoon he is going to Mass and then they have a fish fry following. I know I can't take communion in a Catholic church because I'm not Catholic (Independent Baptist here). But can I get the sign of the cross on my forehead with... show more My boyfriend is a Catholic and I'm an Independent Baptist. Tomorrow afternoon he is going to Mass and then they have a fish fry following.

I know I can't take communion in a Catholic church because I'm not Catholic (Independent Baptist here). But can I get the sign of the cross on my forehead with ash or is that also just for Catholics.

Also is that done at the same time as communion? If I'm allowed to the the sign of the cross on my forehead then how do I refuse communion without it being awkward?

Becky Jo
Independent Baptist