Is there any way to penalize a private landlord for refusing to rent to blacks or muslims?

A guy who I know of in my area has ahout a half dozen homes that he owns i residential neighborhoods, and makes a living renting them. He is very vocal about the fact that he will not rent to blacks or muslims. In his ads when he is between tenents at a given property, he says "Must be White or Asian, and... show more A guy who I know of in my area has ahout a half dozen homes that he owns i residential neighborhoods, and makes a living renting them.

He is very vocal about the fact that he will not rent to blacks or muslims.

In his ads when he is between tenents at a given property, he says "Must be White or Asian, and non-muslim."

I know it would be one thing if it were an apartment complex, but is there actually any way to force him to rent a private single family home to someone?

I asked this before any people said prospective tenants could sue, but that requires actually having damages, correct?

His rentals are in no way the cheapest, so I can't imagine anyone could make a case that they were financially harmed by not renting his house in particular.
Update: State is Virginia.

I did look up Virginia's fair housing act on virginia.gov and saw all the prohibited actions, but I didn't see any penalties spelled out.