How would you revise this e-mail to make it more courteous, positive, concise, precise, and audience oriented?

All, This is something I hate to do, but I must warn you that recently one of our employees filed a lawsuit against the company because of comments a supervisor made during a performance evaluation. This did not have to happen. Look, people, you must do better! Because none of you are dense, here are... show more All,

This is something I hate to do, but I must warn you that recently one of our employees filed a lawsuit against the company because of comments a supervisor made during a performance evaluation. This did not have to happen. Look, people, you must do better!

Because none of you are dense, here are suggestions you must share with all supervisors and managers regarding companywide evaluations: •

You cannot accurately evaluate an employee’s performance unless you have a system to measure that performance. That’s why the obvious very first step is developing perfor- mance standards and goals for each employee. To be effective, these standards and goals must be shared with the employee. However, don’t do it orally. Do it in writing.

The performance of each employee must be monitored throughout the year. Keep a log for each worker. Note memorable incidents or projects in which he was in- volved. But don’t just keep favorable comments. I know that many of you are understandably averse to placing negative comments in an employee’s file. However, MAN UP! Even negative comments must be included as part of the evaluation process.

Once a year each employee must be formally evaluated in a written performance appraisal—yes, I do mean written! In a face-to-face meeting, let the employee know what you think they did well and what areas the employee may be able to improve. Be specific, give deadlines, be honest, and be realistic.