Will removing car four will drive hurt my car?

My front drive shaft or axial in my 1998 Ford Explorer got damaged recently, it is a four wheel drive . The mechanic told me that I can either remove the axial and the car will become a two wheel drive or I should repair the damaged axial. I want to save some money since repairing the axial will mean buying a new... show more My front drive shaft or axial in my 1998 Ford Explorer got damaged recently, it is a four wheel drive . The mechanic told me that I can either remove the axial and the car will become a two wheel drive or I should repair the damaged axial. I want to save some money since repairing the axial will mean buying a new one so I am thinking of just removing it this will be cheaper. I don’t live in a winter state were it snows a lot, I live in California, so converting to two wheel drive will not cause skids. The question is will this hurt my car? Is this a bad idea? The transmission was build with a four wheel drive and it has been driven like that since 1998, please help me I know nothing about cars. Thanks in advance.
Update: I mean four wheels not will that was a mistake
16 answers 16