My husband lied to SSI about his residence and marital status how will this affect us?

I recently just lost my job after two weeks of working at a fast food restaurant. At this job I was only working one day a week and it was part time 11.00/hr at Tim Horton's and was still struggling to make it. I have Audio Processing Disorder and it's very hard for me to work and concentrate in loud environments as I have some difficulty listening and following multi step directions. I'm currently looking for work all over again. I have a 2 year old son(from a previous relationship), myself and my husband who is disabled to look after. I am 22 years old and have had my fair share of jobs and I am ready to go to college to improve and make something out of myself. Right now I am only only getting 190.00 a month in food stamps. I only have 30.00 left. We are struggling. Two days after we got married my husband was going to go to the SSA office and get control of his finances but instead changed his mind for some reason. Now my husband's mom and grandma have revealed to me that during this appointment he did not tell SSI he was married but my husband told me he told them during the day we got married I left him and skipped town? Now his grandmother is still his payee but his mother has been holding on to all of his money he hasn't seen or gotten any of it. My husband told me his mom and grandma forced him to lie to SSI to keep his benefits. His family is saying if he tells SSI the truth he will automatically go to jail and get cut off SSI

5 Answers

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    Your income might impact his SSI benefit amount (it wouldn't impact his social security benefit if he received one. SSI and social security are two different programs). SSI is a federal welfare program.

    I see no point in his lying about his marital status. Your income is so low that I doubt very much it will affect the amount of his SSI benefit - primarily because there is a dependent child to help absorb the income. Only YOUR income has the potential of lowering his SSI benefit. SSI deems income from spouse to spouse or from an ineligible parent to an eligible child. It doesn't deem income from his parents or aunts, uncles or anyone else.

    He has a payee. Why haven't you visited the SS office and filed to be his new payee? Is it because you are also helping in hiding his marital status because a living-with spouse has priority over anyone else when it comes to appointing payees.

    Both he and his payee are legally responsible for reporting changes. Because he has a payee, his payee is MORE responsible. That is part of the payee's job to not only manage the finances but also to report whatever changes are supposed to be reported and, as you are fully aware, marriage is one of them.

    Not to report the marriage and your income is fraud. It's high time someone contacts social security with the information; his payee, your husband or yourself. Get your act together. You and your husband should visit the local office together with your marriage certificate, proof of your income since marriage and while you're at it - you file to be made his payee. His current payee is obviously NOT doing her job.

    IF your income would reduce his SSI benefit then he will have been overpaid. He and his payee will be notified of the amount of the overpayment and whoever his payee is can contact SS to arrange installment payments which would be deducted from his SSI benefit.

    Social Security isn't going to bother charging him with fraud. They will simply deal with the overpayment - if there actually is one and there might not be if he hasn't been receiving the use of his benefit as you allege.

    Now in regards to the current payee. If his benefits aren't being used to pay for his rent, utilities, food and other necessities then the payee is misusing his funds. What the hell is the matter with you that you are allowing this to go on? Get your butt down to the SS office and stop wasting time. Who is in trouble? The payee who is misusing his money.

    Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 yrs.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

    You & your family are entitled to "his" income/benefits, not his mother and not his grandmother, no matter if it was the amount a single person gets or a married person. You should go to ss & report the fraud. If he goes with you, it will be best because he may have information that you do not. He will do best coming clean with them but, if he won't, you should. Otherwise, you won't get any of that money. Either way, you are not receiving anything. He could be in trouble for lying but, his mother and grandmother will also be for accepting money fraudulently. So, if your husband won't go in with you, go in yourself. Don't delay.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    When he gets caught he'll get cut off of SSI and have to pay back anything he got illegally.. He might or might not be prosecuted, might end up i jaill but that's not automatic.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

    You and your husband need to contact his caseworker and let them know you are legally married.

    It does not sound like this will change his benefits because you don't have much other income either.

    You also need to find a new payee. It does not sound like his mom or grandmother should be doing the job, but with your limitations should you either? Is there another family member available?

    Regarding your own situation =

    What were you doing before Dunkin?

    If you know that you are unable to work in fast paced loud environments, don't seek them out for employment. Look for jobs that are more rote processing - like payroll clerks or other types of data entry positions.

    Additionally, you might be more successful if you seek out a trade like bookkeeping vs a formal college degree.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

    He wont automatically go to jail, but he might get locked up for defrauding the government...which is a crime.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.