Does the PDT rule apply when making multiple swing trades?

I'm new to trading and want to make sure I understand the rules, because I keep getting PDT warnings. It's max 3 day trades per week, but if you buy one day and as long as you hold overnight, you can sell and it won't be counted as a day trade, right? In that case it's considered a swing trade? My... show more I'm new to trading and want to make sure I understand the rules, because I keep getting PDT warnings. It's max 3 day trades per week, but if you buy one day and as long as you hold overnight, you can sell and it won't be counted as a day trade, right? In that case it's considered a swing trade?

My question is, can you swing trade as much as you want during the same week AND place day trades, and not have to worry about breaking any rules with the swing trade? Do partial trades during the same 5-day period count in any way towards your 3-trade PDT limit, or does ONLY a complete roundtrip trade on the same day count as a day trade?

Suppose on Monday I make one roundtrip trade, so now I have 2 remaining for the week. Also on Monday I buy positions on two other stocks, and hold them until Tuesday.

On Tuesday I then sell those two from Monday, execute TWO more day trades (so now I've reached the limit for the week), and buy another two stocks (so now I'm only holding the two new ones).

On Wednesday I sell those two stocks that I was holding overnight, and buy two more.

On Thursday I sell those two, and buy two more. On Friday same thing, I sell those two from Thursday and buy two more to hold over the weekend.

Am I in full compliance here, is this strategy legit?
1 answer 1