Does getting disability benefits harm you in any way?

In America? So I'm a student at a university and a career counselor was bringing up how students can get money or assistance with finding a job. He mentioned disability benefits, which means if you have a disability, even stuff like an injury, depression or anxiety or learning disability, you may qualify for... show more In America? So I'm a student at a university and a career counselor was bringing up how students can get money or assistance with finding a job. He mentioned disability benefits, which means if you have a disability, even stuff like an injury, depression or anxiety or learning disability, you may qualify for getting a check or financial assistance.

I might qualify because I have anxiety and maybe ADD, but I have never received any financial assistance or employment help for anything, ever.
I don't want this to somehow 'backfire' if I do get help.
Since TRUMP is president, I have a feeling he might cut funding on programs that assist people with medical issues and financial assistance for those who need it, even sick patients, and Trump might implement some law in order to stop those types of programs or even might cause for it backfire in some way like cause for them to not be able to get insurance or a job.
I don't want to apply for this disability benefit and have it backfire and hurt me in some way, like have it limit me or be a bad record for me on actually getting a job.
Is it worth applying for?
Update: I'm not even sure how the disability service works anyway, I have no visible disability but I really feel I have ADD and doctors are sure i have a panic disorder. But I don't want to apply for it and then have this on record and somehow cause it to backfire on me in some way and cause me to lose employment... show more I'm not even sure how the disability service works anyway, I have no visible disability but I really feel I have ADD and doctors are sure i have a panic disorder.
But I don't want to apply for it and then have this on record and somehow cause it to backfire on me in some way and cause me to lose employment or ruin my reputation.
Update 2: This is not based off only what I said, its what a career counselor has said and this is only a general question. I have not been diagnosed yet and the counselor said a disability would involve stuff other than the 'severe' disability that you mentioned, he said depression, medical conditions, anxiety,... show more This is not based off only what I said, its what a career counselor has said and this is only a general question. I have not been diagnosed yet and the counselor said a disability would involve stuff other than the 'severe' disability that you mentioned, he said depression, medical conditions, anxiety, ADHD, and other stuff would qualify. And I don't even know if i would even try to apply.
Update 3: then why did that counselor say I could qualify?