What makes a game character scary?

So I'm a designer for a game and we're putting together an idea board and weve designed several characters and none of them really leave a lasting impact.I'm not talking about fnaf scary. We want something along the likes of Pyramid Head from Resident Evil, Jeff the Killer, Pigsy from Manhunt, Leatherface, Michael Myers, etc. What's some characteristics of a villain, if you will, that could potentially keep people up at night?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some tips that may help you:

1. A background story disturbing as hell. So the character must have a story on it's own, perhaps not very deep but creepy enough to keep you thinking about it when you see the character. For example some creepy aspects about Pyramid Head is that they were executioners al the old prison in SIlent Hill and they're supposed to represent justice and punishment in James Sunderland's mind.

2. The Enviroment on which the character moves and acts is very important, not just some creepy abandoned house is enough, with your imagination you can build a great stage scary as shít for your character to act. For example look at how lonely and obscure looks Haddonfield on the first Halloween film, the stage where you fight Pigsy in Manhunt, All those narrow hallways at Resident Evil, etc..

3. Sounds: Original creepy melodies (not the cliched ones) can make scary even a walk in the park .

4. Combining these elements with other characters and other enviroments is what brings the creepyness, most people feel fear when something unspected comes out of a normal situation, and the surprise element must always be accompanied with a sense of hopelessness, your imagination can make some situations for your character to act in the weirdests and strangests opportunities...

Good Luck!

• Alexander2 years agoReport

Thanks for the awesome in depth response! Noted!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Make sure you only see them a few times like Nemesis in Resident Evil and not overuse the villain like in Evil Within and Outlast with the fat pig guy.

• Will
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

A character alone won't keep people up. You gotta figure out how to use the character that adds to scary'ness. So, it could be a deformed character that always follows you and is always in the shadows. The character's outline can only be seen, it can always be heard following you, but you never get a clear view of it until the time is right in the game. Characters as simple as the Working Joe from Alien Isolation can be scary because they are persistent, their voice, and because of what I mentioned above about only seeing their outline in the shadows. They have white or red glowing eyes, so that also adds to the suspense of when they're chasing you.

Source(s): I love horror and thriller video games.

Thanks much for the response! We've looked a lot into obscuring the character. Great suggestion.

• Dave
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

Try using a female. A freaky witch looks like u know lisa from P.T? give her a look along those lines and a really scary laugh to show her psychotic side

We're trying to be a bit more original but I like the suggestion towards psychotic. Noted! Thanks!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Deawings

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.