Wouldn't community gardens help in remote indigenous communities in Australia? Housing, yes but also growing food. Why not?

From evidence I've seen, there are no food gardens and yes, I do respect native title hunting rights. I respect bush tucker and traditional foods yet surely gardens with potato plants would be suitable to the environment?

Twelve week foods, such as beans, peas, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, watermelon, (Yum), and the list goes on. Then we have herbs like basil par

Favorite Answer

Sigh.. yes it seems logical. And many coastal, and near coastal, aboriginal communites do indeed have community gardens. Once you get more remote the issues explode tenfold.

Some communities don't have money. Ie welfare is not paid in money. Their 'vouchers' can only be spent on crap from the terrible stores. Lack of access to soil, seeds, water (irrigation) fertiliser, expertise, a bunnings, can be prohibitive. A program driving the initiative has to be implemented and maintained. An overhaul of their eating habits could take many years. And then you need the wholehearted support of elders who are probably very jaded with 'initiatives'. I think it's just in the 'too hard' basket. You really need a commited group of locals. And of it's not in their psyche then it just won't get off the ground.

The blacks are too lazy to get off their a$$es and do some work

Traditional Ab0 food is Maccas.

If they wanted to they could already have vege gardens in their front yards (besides burnt out cars and supermarket trolleys), but no- too clueless and lazy

Something a lot of people don't understand,Aboriginals for the most part are congenitally lazy & because of do-gooder interference in their lives now have a welfare mentality & won't do anything to help themselves.

• Shazy

Pardon me, my smartphone has made me dumb again by posting the question before I had finished asking it.

So, question continued ...

Parsley, chives, mint and rosemary, ect. Tropical native fruit trees have been farmed so successfully that it is shameful indeed not to see the lychee tree, star fruit tree, mango, banana, rambutan tree. Where are the orchards with macadamia nuts? Our strawberry Fields? Why are they not farming?

Am I expected to believe that these highly capable, hard working human beings refuse to feed themselves?

Because I don't believe it!

Millions of dollars would be well spent on food gardens and don't tell me water is too scarce. Bores for the rich so come along? Even firetrucks fill tanks for a price in this country.

Jobs???? Lol! Growing food creates jobs. To make remote indigenous people search for jobs that don't exist is lunacy.

Won't health improve with fresh food and happiness too?