Do zoodles (zucchini noodles) need to be cooked?

Update:

I just started doing meal prep. Last week I made spaghetti zoodles with shrimp. I just spiralized the zucchinis placed the fried shrimp and poured tomato sauce on top. And when it was ready to eat, I just popped them in the microwave.

Onto my 2nd week of prep meals, I've been searching different ways to use the zoodles. I realized a lot of the recipes, they cook the zoodles first. So, have I been doing this wrong? Or do I really need to cook the zoodles first?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They don't _need_ to be, but you might want to steam or stir fry them for 1 minute. They're fine raw, there's nothing wrong with it, some people just like them cooked.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

No.

• 2 years ago

Yes, but they will only take 2-3 minutes low boiling. Any longer and they will be too soft and mushy.

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You can have them cooked [just blanched a minute or two in boiling water] to have like pasta with sauce e.t.c.

Or raw strips / spiralised in a salad with a nice dressing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I like them cooked.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yes but they only need to be dipped in boiling water for a minute or two max. They cook very quickly and will turn to mush if cooked too long. However they certainly can be eaten raw if you want a little crunch.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yes, I think they do, but a light sautee or steaming will do the trick. They cook really quickly.

• Nope. No reason to cook first with how you are heating up your food - the microwave will give them the slight cooking you need. You'd probably end up with nothing but mush if you pre-cooked them.

As an aside, you might want to try shaving long, wide strips of zucchini with a vegetable peeler to make pappardelle-like noodles.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.