Jesus asked in TravelMexicoOther - Mexico · 2 years ago

Is it safe to live in Mexico?

Planning to by a house in Mexico — here from the USA— since it’s way cheaper and all. But I’m not too sure now because all the corruption and desperation that Mexico have — and the things I heard from people that live there and people that come from there say that it’s mostly dangerous and sad . But I’m not sure? I guess I can buy a small land away from the city — where the danger at — but it might be the same?

Do you guys think Mexico is safe enough to live there? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Traditionally, Mexico didn't allow foreigners to own land, but they could go into partners with Mexican citizens. I think that this is part of what Trump was talking about when he was discussing "reciprocal trade" in his State of the Union Address. Now, however, foreigners cannot own land in restricted areas of Mexico (but the central part of Mexico is not restricted). The first link below discusses property ownership by foreigners in Mexico. I have also heard of Mexico taking away land from foreigners. One of my real estate professors said that he partnered with the former president of Mexico to assure that he would not be cheated. The 2nd link below discusses the Mexican drug war of the 1980's. The 3rd link below discusses why murder is rising again in Mexico. There has been a rash of gangland beheadings in Mexico in recent times. In Tiajuana, authorities correctly point out that US college students and teens treat their city like a party zone where everything is permitted and where a bribe or two would get them off the hook. They soon find that Tiajuana jails (which are better than some in smaller towns) are hell holes of smell, disease, and vermin, and bribes don't usually work. So, some of the "lawless" reputation of Mexico comes from the lawless US citizens who vacation there. Some say that Mexico, with its lush tropics and fertile soil and resources could easily be a super-power if it were not for corrupt politicians. I have not seen proof of this. You might want to see the 4th link below about corrupt politicians in Mexico in recent times.

It is a pain in the **** to live in dangerous countries like that, and Mexico is one of them. I lived in a good neighbourhood, yet there were two burglaries and a shooting that happened there. Don't go to Mexico, the houses are cheap for a reason.

• Hande

Nothing to worry.Both sides are safe once the Trump wall comes up.

i dont see why not, if others can live there i dont see why you cant

I know quite a few people from the US who live in Mexico quite happily. Look up San Miguel de Allende- it's a major retirement place for Americans. The crime is along the border. The rest of the country has much less gun violence than most cities in the US.

In certain areas

No especially if you're a pretty white female, you'll probably get raped, their perverts

It is cheap for a reason, I do not recommend that you go there. To make an example, I am German but I used to live in South Africa, every night you live in fear that someone will break into your house, after all it is one of the world's most dangerous countries. I slept with my 870 next to my bed and would get up at any little noise I heard, I carried a Ruger LCR with me to work, around the house, etc. just because of the fear of getting mugged. It is a pain in the **** to live in dangerous countries like that, and Mexico is one of them. I lived in a good neighbourhood, yet there were two burglaries and a shooting that happened there. Don't go to Mexico, the houses are cheap for a reason.

And not to involve race, but you have to be realistic. In SA as a White man all of the blacks think that you have money, my wife and I were followed home one night by some kaffirs looking to rob us, luckily I went to a friends house and they got scared when I got out as they saw a handgun on my hip. If you are not Latin, they will most likely do the same to you in Mexico, just keep that in mind. Living in fear all day isn't worth it, keep your peace of mind instead.