Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 2 years ago

After I learn all of the songs and chord I need to know on the guitar what do I do after that?

I know this is a stupid question but it’s been really worrying me lately. I recently bought a guitar and I’m gonna try and learn everything I need to learn and wanna learn along with a bunch of songs I wanna learn, I know this is going to take a long time to do but after I do all that I feel like I’m not gonna know what to do with the guitar and every thing I learned with it. I feel like there’s gonna be nothing for me to learn or anything except play a Bunch of songs I don’t really like. I was thinking of maybe righting songs or somthing but I don’t know. What I’m trying to ask is what do people usually do after they learn every thing.

• Me2
    Favorite Answer

You've just bought a guitar, and are already worried about running out of things that you'll want to learn.  The musical universe is so vast that such a thing is virtually impossible.  The more you learn, the more you CAN learn, and the more possibilities you can see in what you already know.

Once you're comfortable with the guitar and feel you've acquired a little competence, take some theory lessons with a piano teacher to get a basic knowledge of how music works.  As your understanding increases, you'll see more in the things you learned before, and your ability to learn will itself expand.

Assuming you actually know how to do everything, you refine your technique. I know all the ballet moves, doesn't mean I don't look ugly as sin doing them. However, as any refined person in any job will tell you, the more I learn the more I become aware of how much I don't know.

There's as many theories as there are musicians, and if they are half famous, they have a DVD about it. Learning the chords and scales doesn't make you an expert. Why did you go from minor 5th to major 3rd or vice versa and what did it sound like? How and why do I have no idea what I'm talking about? You simply can't live long enough to learn it all, just enough people die to where they can't argue with you anymore.

• Tony B

From what you say, there doesn't really seem to be much point in you having a guitar or bothering to learn to play it.

It's not a "stupid question" it's just a very odd one that I couldn't even begin to answer. I really think you should sell your guitar (or give it away) and NOT waste years of your life learning to play an instrument you have no use for.

Life's too short!

People get motivated to play an instrument for whatever reason drove them to like playing music. What made you play the guitar in the first place? If you liked certain songs, learn how to play them. If it was me, then I'd try to make a cool song just like the ones that inspired me to learn to play them.

• L.N.

Your guitar will be forgotten in the back of the closet long before you learn all the chords and all the songs.