How to make money as a 16 year old in England?

My parents are splitting up and my mum earns around 1000 a week and is going to have to rent a 2 bedroom house somewhere. The general price for these in my area though is around £600 and with all additional costs such as electric, there will be barely any money left. My dad said he will try and help out where he can but that I should help out as well. There are barely any part time jobs going in my town at the moment, but I am applying to any I am applicable for. An apprenticeship would be an option but probably wouldn’t start til the new school year and I would have to leave college which my parents don’t really want me to do. Does anyone else have any more ideas on how to make money?

Favorite Answer

I don't know about money in England or laws concerning England, but I do know a little about markets like Portobello Road and the street markets in Paris. And I know a LOT about the local farmer's markets and booths at street fairs here in Northern California. The idea is the same anywhere -- you collect or make a product and sell it at a booth in the market. What to sell? I tell these stories repeatedly here in Answers because the stories are the same. Once upon a time some young people found something they liked, made it and sold it at a booth at the market. There is the kid who liked bicycles. He helped his dad deliver newspapers for a very big city newspaper, and in all of the alleys they found broken bicycles. They stopped and picked up the bicycle parts, took them home, the kid cleaned them up, fixed the bicycles, and sold them at a space at the flea market (I think you call them "boot sales" in England). He sold enough refurbished bicycles to buy more parts to fix more bicycles and enough to pay for a 2-year business degree at community college. He eventually bought the bicycle rental stands at 3 major Los Angeles county beach piers and now owns his own bicycle shop, too. There is the story of the girl at our local weekly Farmer's market who started making soaps when she was 13. Every week she was the one who set up the booth at the Farmer's market in town and sold her soaps. The last I spoke with her she was 19 and still selling the soaps around her school schedule for university for a business degree. If you like clothes, my daughter and I volunteer for the women's group at the church and their annual rummage sale (I think you call it a tag sale or charity bazaar). We help sort all of the items and help sell items. At the end of the sale we take home in bags and boxes all of the clothes. We wash the clothes and sort them by size of age group. Whatever we do not keep for ourselves, we first take to the consignment store and let the consignment store take what will sell in their shop and we keep a running account there, so we can buy on store credit what we choose from the sales of our items. What does not sell at the consignment shop we then take to the annual street fair and have a booth, where we sell men, women's and children's clothing and dishes and decorative items that did not sell at the church charity sale. We trade leftover books at the used book store for books we do want, and what ever does not sell at our own little booth, we then take to the charity shop and make a donation. Sometimes the charity shop operators will let us trade 7 bags of children's clothing for one bag of a few pairs of shoes and a couple pairs of jeans we do want. If you seek an official job with regular hours, there are always small businesses and offices such as dentists or optometrists who need someone to answer the phone and help make appointments. Some small businesses need someone to help clean the office and water the plants on weekends. Ask around your church group for such a job. I know of a girl who volunteered at the local veterinary helping walk the dogs and clean their cages. She showed up every weekend rain or shine. After a few months they started to pay her and when she graduated from high school the veterinary helped pay for her community college 2-year degree in veterinary technician.I think she helped train her replacement when she went to university to get a degree in Animal Science. She is now a food and diet specialist for a couple of milk dairies and charges $4 per cow per week. With two dairies with 3000 cows as her clients, she is making quite a bit of money now, but she started cleaning cages at the veterinary. I knew of a couple enterprising young men who helped people move -- they had a pickup truck -- and whatever their people did not want, they took home, cleaned the items up and fixed and repaired broken furniture pieces and cleaned old tools and junk, and had a regular booth at the flea market (boot sale) selling items. But I also know of a lady who likes horses. She goes shopping all the time to the charity shops all over California and purchases blue jeans, cowboy boots, cowboy shirts, and horse-themed decorative items, makes sure everything is cleaned and all the buttons and zippers work, then goes to the local rodeos and sells horse-themed and cowboy-themed items to all the people at the rodeo and she sells enough items to pay for her pickup truck and trailer for hauling her items to the different places. So the idea here is really to take something you really, really like, and make a go of it. If life hands you lemons, find a really good lemonade recipe and make lemonade and sell it at one Euro a cup at the next upcoming boot sale. If you like cupcakes, sell cupcakes. If people are getting rid of their books, sell books. If people are throwing away junk furniture, get some tools, sandpaper, and paint and fix and repair the furniture and sell it. If people are getting rid of fabric scraps, sew quilts and sell them. My daughter and I do! We make and sew homemade quilts from fabric scraps all the time. What to do with styrofoam packaging that is usually thrown away? Take it home, grab a knife, and learn to carve it into animal shapes to paint, decorate, and sell as Christmas ornaments. Or if you like food and restaurants, work for a private caterer serving food at private parties. (I did that, too!) If you like toys, sell toys. I knew a girl who bought old Barbie dolls and old Bratz dolls and repainted them and sewed new fairy-doll costumes for them from old fabric she found in the attic, and turned them into fairies and sells them. There are lots of ideas if you look around. Good luck and fortune to you!

• Start doing Web Development ,Youtube it up.

• Who

Think you need to look at the figures again

Only place in the UK where you would pay 600/WEEK is in london

(thats 30k/YEAR - for that you can BUY a house in most towns in the UK)

As for a job

any part time job is good for you - dont matter if you think they are applicable or not - have a go

Dont have to be regular (every week) - just helping out say saturday morning/afternoon if they give you a call is a good start

These wont be advertised cos they aint regular- So have a wander around the town and ask around in shops

you got a mobile? - get some cards printed with your name (NOT your address) and mobile number on it (or maybe your mothers mobile number- so she can check out who's calling) and leave one if they are interested

(talk all this over with your mother/father 1st)

• jess2 years agoReport

When I said 600 I meant per month, sorry

• tro

what ever you can do that people will pay you to do

• Lolly

I made quite a bit of money babysitting at your age. I stayed away from diapers. Toddlers are more fun and they go to bed and you stay up doing homework and watching TV, which you would have done at home anyway.

Some tips: Only eat what the mom says, be sure to ask if having a snack is OK. Don't leave a mess. If there are siblings, respect the older one, treat him or her as a co-babysitter in order to get their cooperation. Tire them out with games. Warn them when bed-time is, don't abruptly announced "BED!"; ease them into it.

• jess2 years agoReport

Thank youuu

• Tavy

Seasonal jobs start at Easter, so put your name down for cafes, small shops etc. My son at 16 --still at school , went on the tills at Tesco's, at weekends, he stayed there until he went to Uni.

Your Mum should be able to get tax credits.

Check out the burger places or cafes but I survive on less than 1000 per month, sure you have to cut back but it will only be a few years until you finish college or uni and get a good paying job or your own place - when my daughters marriage ended she managed to survive going through uni and a single mum of 2 with no financiual help from ex husband but now she has just graduated and about to start a good career with good wages.

• jess2 years agoReport

My mum is at college and soon to be a single mum with 3 children so it is good to hear that it gets easier thanks

- Go to your fast food restaurants

- Look for ads online, or in windows of stores/shops/malls, restaurants, the newspapers or magazine articles

- Ask your friends/family/people that you know that have some sort of jobs