Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 years ago

So what are the odds of someone dying from leukemia?

To be more precise this person took vaccines to prevent it and took all the necessary medicine while they had it. Were they just that unlucky?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no such thing as a leukemia vaccine.

The chances of dying depend on what kind of leukemia, what stage it was when it was fought, what other Heath issues the patient has, what type of treatment they took, etc. like any disease, there are hundreds of variables. The biggest one is what type and stage at diagnosis.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

There are no vaccines to prevent leukemia so I have no idea what you are referring to. Without aggressive treatment the odds of dying from leukemia are effectively 100%

• 2 years ago

There are no vaccines for leukemia. My Father died of leukemia in 1993. He was diagnosed 1 year prior to that and did the whole chemo thing along with the rest of the protocol. That being said, approx. 9 years prior to being diagnosed with leukemia, he had prostate cancer in which he took the maximum amount or radiation for that. In 1992, his Oncologist told him that his acute leukemia was most likely brought on by the maximum radiation he had all those years in the past. Also, in that one year that he lived between his diagnosis of leukemia and his death, he had only 4 months of remission, and those other 8 months were HELL. Of course, things have probably come a long way since the 90's, BUT that doesn't mean that a person will 100% be absolutely cured for the rest of their life. Honestly, most things in life are a "crap shoot" no matter how much medicine has advanced through the years.

• 2 years ago

Well, there are no vaccines for leukemia, so I dont know what you might mean about that.

Survival rates depend on the type of leukemia -there are different kinds- as well as the age and general heath of the person. I think its probably something like a 30 percent survival rate after 5 yrs. So, 70 percent would die in the first 5 yrs. after being diagnosed with leukemia. There isn't really "medicine" for it, either. There are *treatments" like chemotherapy, where they basically poison your body with deadly toxins hoping the disease dies before you do. Half the time people die from the treatments before the disease kills them, tho.

TLDR: Most people with leukemia will die. If you get leukemia, then yes, that is very unlucky.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

There are currently no vaccines for leukemia. There are certain medications to treat an existing condition, but you can still die from leukemia.

https:www.lls.org/treatment/types-of-treatment/vaccine therapy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.