annie42 asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 years ago

Can a password protected apple ever be used?

If no password unlocks it? I bought an old imac on Amazon. The seller turned out to be major creepy. They sent it password protected and then proceeded to try and do weird things like offer to pick it up from me. I have been refunded my full price by Amazon! I may still mail it back to the weirdo, but if i choose to say, donate to to a charity, can they unlock it?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

You do not have to tell me how to unlock it, just if it can be done or if it is trash now if I keep it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You cannot access whhat os on the drive, that's part of the system security if its locked.

You can simply re-install the operating system, either via the internet if its a moderately recent machine or using an OSX disc for any age machine.

Turn it on and immediately press and hold either:

Command + R

That will start internet recovery, if included.

or,

the "option" key

That should go to the boot select screen where you can select to boot from an optical disc to reinstall the system from CD/DVD.

More info:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201255

(If you are using a windows keyboard, the special keys are windows or alr, if I remember correctly).

• annie42
      2 years agoReport

Interesting. Love to learn new things. I will be sending it back, but thanks so much, everyone who answered.

It can be done if someone knows how to, and I doubt if any charity shop would have someone on hand who has the knowledge and who is willing to do it. In any case, as you've been refunded return it to the vendor and have done with it.

• annie42
      2 years agoReport

will do it the seller ever issues me the 'refund' so I can print out the label!

No

• annie42
      2 years agoReport

Thank you. i will mail it back to this perosn, even though he is creepy, even offering to meet me.