Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 years ago

What special or unique cooking tips do you have?

Favorite Answer

I have been creating a Recipe CD for my own use, and included a blog section with hundreds of tips and advice on cooking and working in the kitchen and home. It includes many free e-cookbooks and now I am up to over 9,000 domestic (US) and international recipes from all cultures.

For me, a Crockpot is a must - I have several in my home of various sizes and I have one at work. It only takes a few simple ingredients to make any kind of soup or dish you like. Also, it does not always take liquids. Crock pots are made to keep moisture in and allow foods to cook with aany liquid or soup you add - or not. You can bake potatoes and chickens indry Crock pots - but I'd use a microwave on the potatoes.

Some foods such as Garlic are extremely beneficial to your health. There are other ways to use them than just chopping and adding to a meal. I have one friend that minces cloves and adds to honey for a daily health lift. She has no more troulbe with any insect bites. Google the benefits of garlic and many other spices and additives that you use.

When boiling eggs for salads or deviled eggs, place your eggs in the pot with just enough water to cover them. Start the heat and leave on the stove until they reach a rolling boil. Immediately remove from heat and cover, and let sit for 10-15 minutes. You will not get that green color around the yolk from leaving boiling for ten minutes. Also, steaming eggs instead of boiling gives great results. Older eggs boil and then peel easier than fresh eggs. You can keep eggs unused for four weeks or more in the fridge. Salt and vinegar added to water will help them peel. When you are finished with the eggs cooking, immediately place in an ice water bath. This will also help separate the shell from the egg. Let them cool completely.

I like using a smoker, and I have wood and charcoal smokers, and recently bought an electric. An electric smoker does not leave the smoke ring in the meat but does add the smoke flavor. If you want to, and you clean out all the wood for making the smoke, you can use an electric smoker inside (without smoke) as a low temperature dehydrator. You do not need a separate dehydrator.

If you are frying bacon, sprinkle a little sugar over it. The sugar will caamelize while the bacon is cooking and it will crisp up quite nicely.

One thing to never skimp on is a good quality set of kitchen knives. I don't buy the expensive ones, but the faberware from Walmart is great - if they come with their own sharpener. Having sharp knives or the ability to sharpen at the moment is the best tool a chef can have.

You can do a quick pickle of almost anything with a little sugar, salt and vinegar. Give it 20 minutes. Pickled red onions are awesome on about any dish!

My best tip is this - Keep a good, fresh container of corn starch on hand. Corn starch, when making gravy or anything with a sauce can be your best friend. It works on a chemical reaction based on heat differences. If you have acold dish and need to thicken the sauce, make a slurry of a tablespoon or two of corn starch dissolved and stirred into hot water. If you have a hot gravy or sauce that needs to be thickened, use a cold corn starch slurry and add to your hot dish. The difference in heat, either warm or cold, will activate the starch either way and cause thickening. But remember, it's the heat difference. Cold into cole or hot ino hot will only make a mess.

I'm also not above adding baking powder to any recipe - even boxed cake mixes or anything that takes self-rising flour. Oh, it's alread in there, but maybe not enough, or it may be flat in the flour.

Hope these help. I have a ton more.

Cinnamon on beef. Just the teeniest bit. Enhances the flavor.

• denise

Buttermilk makes cakes, scones [biscuits], cup cakes, muffins, gingerbread [cake], lighter than usual milk in baking, also slightly more moist.

• RoyS

Never pan-fry bacon in the nude.

1: Don't make food that's exotic solely for the purpose of being exotic. Exotic foods are fine, but they should taste good first, second, and third.

2: Cook outside of your comfort zone. You might make the best chicken and dumplings in the world, but don't let that be the only thing you ever learn to cook. Likewise, having a "secret ingredient" that you add to everything, making everything taste the same, isn't going to impress anyone. Try new things, even if they frequently turn out to be inedible. You can learn as much from a mistake as a success.

3: Don't lose your mind over organic, local, non-GMO, or any of the other buzzwords. Sometimes those ingredients taste a bit better, sometimes they don't. Being able to cook well with standard ingredients is important. It saves you money, which lets you cook more often, which makes you a better cook. And when you want to splurge on premium ingredients, your food will (maybe) be all that much better.

4: There is no shame in shortcuts. Who wants to spend hours simmering chicken scraps to make their own chicken stock for every recipe? Reach for a can of chicken stock or a bouillon cube and get it done. You don't need to hand make your pie crusts or your pasta--unless you really can do it that much better, and the extra effort is worth it to you. Taking extra steps and expending extra effort usually makes little if any difference to the finished product. In the meantime, you've worn yourself out, and you'll enjoy cooking less as a result.

Shredded chicken is easily made in a crock pot with no added liquid. The best way to pan-fry chicken which you plan to slice or dice is to partially defrost it, slice it and push it back together. Then gently put it in the pan and brown on both sides without breaking it up until the last two minutes. The way to learn to flip eggs in a skillet is to put a hot pad in a dry skillet and practice flipping it. Flip eggs over the sink so that you don't get grease on the floor. Loosen the eggs by sliding a spatula under the edge of the eggs. Grilled cheese is much better when made with mayonnaise instead of butter - less greasy.

You can substitute Newcastle Brown Ale for milk in virtually any batter recipe.

Works particularly well for pancakes, Yorkshire Pudding and Toad in the Hole.