What is the relative comfort and durability like between 65 and 55 profile tires?

I am looking at a new car where the base model has 65 profile tires but the model I want has 55 profile tires. My current car has 60 profile. My understanding is that while handling improves with lower profile tires, comfort and durability go way down. I see too many cars by the side of the road with low profile... show more I am looking at a new car where the base model has 65 profile tires but the model I want has 55 profile tires. My current car has 60 profile. My understanding is that while handling improves with lower profile tires, comfort and durability go way down. I see too many cars by the side of the road with low profile tires shredded by potholes I have hit more than once with my 60 profile tires with no ill effects. My present car handles just file with 60 profile. My first car had 80 profile and handled well enough.

So please no people telling me I need the lower profile for handling. Stick to the point of comfort and durability.

At at my age I want a comfortable ride and I would like to be able to get 40,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Or am I worrying about this too much?

What are your thoughts.
Update: I care nothing about improving handling or grip. I care about whether the lower profile will give me an excessively harsh ride or need replacing a lot more often. I got plenty of grip and handling in the days of 70 profile tires.
Update 2: By the way, I do not "want" 55 profile tires. To get the model with the safety equipment I want the manufacturer put on alloy wheels with 55 profile tires. The lower model with steel wheels and 65 profile tires is not equipped as well as I want.