If Jesus is God, Why is he call the Firstborn of all Creation?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

(Acts 2:22,24,27,33 (Acts 3:13,15,19-20,26) (Romans 1:3-4,8-9 (1 Corinthians 1:21-24; 11:3; 15:24-28) (John 5:30,37; 6:37,38; 7:16; 6:65; 8:54;12:49; 13:16; 14:28) (Matt 11:27; 28:18) Hebrews 1:9; 1:1-14

Matt 28:18 Jesus says power (authority) is given to him, who gives Jesus this authority? Hebrews 1:1-14 shows just what authority was given him and 1 Co 15:24-28

John 1:1

• 1864 “and a god was the Word” (left hand column interlinear reading) The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, New York and London.

• 1867 “In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God” - The Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible.

• 1935 “and the Word was divine” - The Bible—An American Translation, by John M. P. Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed, Chicago.

• 1955 “so the Word was divine” - The Authentic New Testament, by Hugh J. Schonfield, Aberdeen.

• 1978 “and godlike sort was the Logos” - Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin.

• 1822 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament in Greek and English (A. Kneeland, 1822.);

• 1863 "and the Word was a god." - A Literal Translation Of The New Testament (Herman Heinfetter [Pseudonym of Frederick Parker], 1863);

• 1885 "and the Word was a god." - Concise Commentary On The Holy Bible (R. Young, 1885);

• 1879 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (J. Becker, 1979);

• 1911 "and the Word was a god." - The Coptic Version of the N.T. (G. W. Horner, 1911);

• 1958 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Anointed" (J. L. Tomanec, 1958);

• 1829 "and the Word was a god." - The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829);

• 1975 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (S. Schulz, 1975);

• 1975 "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word" Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany

The text of John 1:1 has a sordid past and a myriad of interpretations. With the Greek alone, we can create empathic, orthodox, creed-like statements, or we can commit pure and unadulterated heresy. From the point of view of early church history, heresy develops when a misunderstanding arises concerning Greek articles, the predicate nominative, and grammatical word order. The early church heresy of Sabellianism understood John 1:1c to read, "and the Word was the God." The early church heresy of Arianism understood it to read, "and the word was a God."

David A. Reed

Jesus prays to God. (John 17:1-3)

Jesus has faith in God. (Hebrews 2:17,18, Hebrews 3:2)

Jesus is a servant of God. (Acts 3:13)

Jesus does not know things God knows. (Mark 13:32, Revelation 1:1)

Jesus worships God. (John 4:22)

Jesus has one who is God to him. (Revelation 3:12)

Jesus is in subjection to God. (1 Corinthians 15:28)

Jesus' head is God. (1 Corinthians 11:1)

Jesus has reverent submission, fear, of God. (Hebrews 5:7)

Jesus is given lordship by God. (Acts 2:36)

Jesus is exalted by God.(Acts 5:31)

Jesus is made high priest by God. (Hebrews 5:10)

Jesus is given authority by God. (Philippians 2:9)

Jesus is given kingship by God. (Luke 1:32,33)

Jesus is given judgment by God. (Acts 10:42)

"God raised [Jesus] from the dead". (Acts 2:24, Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 15:15)

Jesus is at the right hand of God. (Mark 16:19, Luke 22:69, Acts 2:33, Romans 8:34)

Jesus is the one human mediator between the one God and man. (1 Timothy 2:5)

No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. (1 John 4:12) . (Philippians 2:6)

"Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"" (Matthew 27:46)

Proverbs 8:22-31 gives an account of Jesus in his beginning.

Matthew 28:18 says) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. (KJ)

1 Co 11:3;15:24-28; John 3:16; 14:28; 17:1-3; Heb 1:1-14; Col 1:13-18

(Micah.5:4; Psalm.45:7; 89:26; Matthew.27:46; Mark. 15:34; John.20:17; Romans.15:6; 1 Corinthians.11:3; 15:24-28; 2 Corinthians.1:3; Ephesians.1:17; Hebrews.1:9; 1 Peter.1:3; Revelation.1:6; 3:2,12).

“My Father is greater than I [Jesus].”—John 14:28.*

“I [Jesus] ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God.”—John 20:17.

“To us there is but one God, the Father.”—1 Corinthians 8:6.

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”—1 Peter 1:3.

I [Jesus] ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God.”—John 20:17

2 Corinthians 1:3 "Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort"

Romans 15:6 "so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Ephesians 1:3  "Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in union with Christ, "

• 3 years ago

That's because Jesus, even in His incarnate form and born as the Son of the Father, always maintained His position as Second Person of the Holy Trinity. Colossians 1 confirms this. John 1 affirms this. John 10:30 states it openly.

• J H
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

It's called the plan of Salvation. JESUS told His apostles that they knew the Way.Heaven is all inclusive

We follow Jesus because we are in Hm. Everything that we do has been pretested. Jesus shows us the

Way.Jesus was the first born as we follow Him and are born again. Jesus needed to be made human like

and this is how he did it! He was born again,the first to do so,the Firsborn of all His Creation.

• 3 years ago

Firstborn of the New Creation, obviously.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

He isn't. He is the very first thing that God created.

• ?
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

All know100%--creation occurred over 6000 years ago. Not when Jesus was born a mortal. Coll 1:15 is about the creation at the beginning. verse 16 proves it. The being speaking at proverbs 8 is the being who came to earth and was named Jesus as a mortal. It certainly isn't God speaking there. He explains that being created direct( first and last) was as a pangs of distress of a woman giving birth being described at Prov 8--No one else can possibly be Gods master worker than Jesus whom God created all other things through. All who know Jesus knows it is him speaking at Prov 8.

Making this truth--- Let us( YHWH(Jehovah) and his master worker) make man in our image.

• Keith
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

God has the ability to do whatever He wishes though, even if you cant wrap your puny mind around this mystery of Jesus coming in the flesh.

• 3 years ago

You have to understand language.

First breathed. First incarnation of God in the flesh.

ExJW

Catholic

• 3 years ago

In the culture of the Ancient Near East, the "first-born" was not necessarily the oldest child. First-born referred to *rank* -- not birth order. This idea is seen clearly in the Old Testament: Thus says the Lord, "Israel is my son, my first-born" -- i.e. his favorite, his “chosen."

The word "first-born" (Greek word "prototokos") signifies priority. The verse you cite means that the second Person of the Trinity outranks all of creation -- not that HE is created. The Son is God the Creator.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

HE WAS THE FIRST TO RISE FROM THE DEAD....ALL THE SAVED WILL DO THE SAME IN THE FUTURE!! IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO USE REFS WITH LOCATION.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.