Gene Hackman or Kevin Spacey?

Both played Lrx Luthor in Superman films Gene Hackman in Superman (1978) Superman II (1980) (also Richard Donner Cut) Superman IV: Quest For Peace For some reason he wasn't in Superman III (1983) Kevin Spacey played the role in Superman Returns (2006) Who was better at it? I do think as Superman (1978)... show more Both played Lrx Luthor in Superman films

Gene Hackman in

Superman (1978)
Superman II (1980) (also Richard Donner Cut)
Superman IV: Quest For Peace

For some reason he wasn't in Superman III (1983)

Kevin Spacey played the role in

Superman Returns (2006)

Who was better at it?

I do think as Superman (1978) is more light hearted film, Gene Hackman plays it very funny and light hearted , films like Unforgiven (1992) and The Quick And The Dead (1995), prove he can play a serious evil villian.

I think reviews say Spacey adds genuine menace to the role which wasn't in the Hackman films.

I kinda biased as I consider Gene Hackman to be one of the greatest actors ever and Spacey just isn't as good, also I consider the Christopher Reeve films to be the best.

Strangely both Hackman and Spacey both have a Best Actor Oscar and a Best Supporting Actor Oscar, same with De Niro.

Who was best in the role of Lex Luthor and the better actor?