Sewing - Complete Beginner - advice and tips needed (blanket)?

I have a sewing machine, but I've tried to use it a grand total of about 5 times, and I still feel absolutely clueless and hesitant to use it. I don't have anybody nearby for hands on training. My son likes a kids show called Wallykazam, and there is absolutely no merchandise available for it (what little... show more I have a sewing machine, but I've tried to use it a grand total of about 5 times, and I still feel absolutely clueless and hesitant to use it. I don't have anybody nearby for hands on training.

My son likes a kids show called Wallykazam, and there is absolutely no merchandise available for it (what little there is is on pages like Pinterest, and people charge a fortune).

I want to make a blanket with the characters on it. I'm only planning on something simple (if you Google "Wallykazam Norville", I'm not planning on adding the dots): Just cut outs of the correct colors and the correct shapes for the face, then covering up the top with the correct color and shape hair, then a smile, a nose, and small black circles on top of white circles for eyes.

What I need help with is advice on fabric and which stitch to do. Is if feasible to do all felt and a basic blanket stitch to put these pieces together on top of a thicker fleece base for the blanket? Or will it get way too thick in places where there are multiple layers (like the eyes: black pupil, on top of white eye, on top of blue face, on top of base blanket). Is it more feasible to do a thinner cotton fabric for the faces on top of the thicker fleece blanket?