How would a government shutdown affect the U.S. military and those that are currently serving?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That's a good question I think. I have read several articles on it but was at the commissary this afternoon and they were announcing over the intercom that the commissary would be closed through Tuesday as of 4 PM today because of the shut down. Supposedly the military though will still be paid as well as retired veterans who are receiving disability or pensions. Luckily I have money in the bank to handle a long term shut down and not being paid that pension but for those that don't I truly feel sorry for if they are not paid when and as they should be. I did see where USAA was adopting a lose policy for those that might not be paid that have things like insurance and loans through them and not discontinuing coverage or enforcing the loans in terms of late fees and reporting people as delinquent or in default of their loans. This needs to get resolved and Congress should not be allowed to go home or be paid till this thing is settled-that's what they are paid to do.

• 3 years ago

The military have to keep serving. They will have some of their temporary duty cancelled, such as attending educational meetings and remote training. They got paid on the 15th of January so if the clowns in Washington get it straightened up by February, the military people will get paid on the 1st of February. If they have Sure Pay going to one bank and have good relations with the bank, the bank will credit their account for the amount of money they should get paid, knowing eventually the government will straighten up and pay them the back pay. If the military member repeatedly bounces checks and over drafts their account the bank might be so willing to float them the loan. Having a spouse who works comes in really handy.

• 3 years ago

The Schumer Shutdown and the democrats want to delay their pay.

• 3 years ago

They won't get paid just another example of why you should never vote Democrat anything

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Everyone on duty will get paid. Buying new equipment will be put on hold.

• 3 years ago

it won't

• NWIP
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Those Active continue to work, especially if deployed.

Their pay is delayed in being received can be anywhere from a few days to weeks which has happened in the past. They have already said that the pay on the 1st will only be a few days of Pay the 16th to the 19th when it shut down. The rest will be paid later.

Most banks/credit unions such as NFCU and USAA are already saying like before they will do an interest free advance on pay just like the last time it happened.

Delays in supplies, non essential civilian personnel not working or getting paid, military academies not having classes because of civilian instructors, child care on base closing, commissaries and exchanges closing, AFN overseas shut down (happened at midnight est already)

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

It won't. The government does not "shut down." It just makes for a good news headline.

Source(s): Observing "shut downs" for decades.
  • 3 years ago

Well let see, the U.S. Military serves the Government stupid. And those serving would be bums.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

they won't get their paychecks

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.