Can we get a dog back after we "surrendered" it?

Some background information: I'm 20, been living with my mom and two sisters while I attend college the next town over, though this month I dropped out so I can go live with my dad and (hopefully) more easily find work (then eventually attend college there). We have two dogs, one I'll be taking with me, and... show more Some background information: I'm 20, been living with my mom and two sisters while I attend college the next town over, though this month I dropped out so I can go live with my dad and (hopefully) more easily find work (then eventually attend college there). We have two dogs, one I'll be taking with me, and two cats.

At the beginning of December, I found a puppy under my car. We kept her while we tried to find her a home (because we knew mom wouldn't be willing to keep her) ideally to a friend or someone we know and trusted. After no luck on that front, my mom pushed us to give her away to a no kill shelter out of state. None of us wanted to go through with this as we all grew very attached to her. Despite this, my sisters and I drove to where the representative of the shelter asked us to meet them, gave her away, and then left.

My sister has been talking it over with me and she said that since I'm moving soon, they could take on another pet. We talked it over with ma and she doesn't think it'll work out due to us "surrendering" her to the shelter, but says if we can make it work, she'd allow it.

Now this is the key thing: we never signed anything that said we surrendered her. I'm thinking if they'd be willing to transfer her to a shelter near where my family lives, we can get her back.

Considering all these factors: could we get this dog back?
Update: The reason we went with an out of state shelter is because the shelter we live near does not have a no kill policy. After an animal is in there care for two weeks, they put them down. We did, however, notify the shelter in town to let them know we found a puppy and gave them our contact info in case anyone came... show more The reason we went with an out of state shelter is because the shelter we live near does not have a no kill policy. After an animal is in there care for two weeks, they put them down. We did, however, notify the shelter in town to let them know we found a puppy and gave them our contact info in case anyone came looking. My mom is friends with a lady who does a lot of animal rescue work and so mom asked her if she could find a no kill shelter for us. The one she recommended was out of state.
Update 2: hi all, update: we're likely not getting her back. she has been moved to a shelter quite a few states away, even though she was just up for adoption at the previous shelter. the 1st shelter has put me in contact with the current one and she seems happy and healthy, which is ultimately what i want. i did contact... show more hi all, update: we're likely not getting her back. she has been moved to a shelter quite a few states away, even though she was just up for adoption at the previous shelter. the 1st shelter has put me in contact with the current one and she seems happy and healthy, which is ultimately what i want. i did contact the shelter and they told me the same thing many of you have said concerning surrendering, though it seems like BS to me still. i'll cope. thanks for the support and kind words.