What is considered "normal" wear and tear on a room rental and can I hold back a cleaning fee from the security deposit?

We rented a private room and bathroom to someone for 3 months. When he moved in the bathroom was spotless. Then I did a walk through with him when he moved out and he said he cleaned the bathroom "the best he could." I glanced at everything and gave him his security deposit back. The next morning, I... show more We rented a private room and bathroom to someone for 3 months. When he moved in the bathroom was spotless.

Then I did a walk through with him when he moved out and he said he cleaned the bathroom "the best he could."

I glanced at everything and gave him his security deposit back.

The next morning, I went in to look at the bathroom a little more closely, and there was dirt and soap scum all over the tub and sink. The floor was dirty as well. I think he used a "spray" and wipe cleaner when he really needed some comet or ajax and some elbow grease.

I spent about 20 minutes with comet and a scrub sponge swirling paste in little circles all over the tub and rinsed to a mirror finish. My wife spent 5 minutes cleaning the floor, and I spent 5 minutes cleaning the sink and mirrors. He left the toilet and surrounding area clean.

So I told my wife that a kinda dirty bathroom is normal wear and tear, and she is arguing that he didn't return it the way we gave it to him and that we should assess a "cleaning fee."

What is the right answer? Should we have assessed a fee to clean, and if so how much. My wife and I are nowhere neat/clean freaks...and its not like there was mud, poop, or pee smeared everywhere...but it just wasn't up to the standard it needed to be for the next person.
11 answers 11