What is considered "normal" wear and tear on a room rental and can I hold back a cleaning fee from the security deposit?

We rented a private room and bathroom to someone for 3 months. When he moved in the bathroom was spotless. Then I did a walk through with him when he moved out and he said he cleaned the bathroom "the best he could." I glanced at everything and gave him his security deposit back. The next morning, I... show more We rented a private room and bathroom to someone for 3 months. When he moved in the bathroom was spotless.

Then I did a walk through with him when he moved out and he said he cleaned the bathroom "the best he could."

I glanced at everything and gave him his security deposit back.

The next morning, I went in to look at the bathroom a little more closely, and there was dirt and soap scum all over the tub and sink. The floor was dirty as well. I think he used a "spray" and wipe cleaner when he really needed some comet or ajax and some elbow grease.

I spent about 20 minutes with comet and a scrub sponge swirling paste in little circles all over the tub and rinsed to a mirror finish. My wife spent 5 minutes cleaning the floor, and I spent 5 minutes cleaning the sink and mirrors. He left the toilet and surrounding area clean.

So I told my wife that a kinda dirty bathroom is normal wear and tear, and she is arguing that he didn't return it the way we gave it to him and that we should assess a "cleaning fee."

What is the right answer? Should we have assessed a fee to clean, and if so how much. My wife and I are nowhere neat/clean freaks...and its not like there was mud, poop, or pee smeared everywhere...but it just wasn't up to the standard it needed to be for the next person.