Can I make multiple mirror images on a single hard drive?

I'd like to be able to restore a computer, should the hard drive fail (has happened to me 3 times in 18 years). I think I could do this via a mirror of the current hard drive; and I could keep that on an external hard drive (my "vault") until needed. I have multiple computers, so I'd like to have... show more I'd like to be able to restore a computer, should the hard drive fail (has happened to me 3 times in 18 years). I think I could do this via a mirror of the current hard drive; and I could keep that on an external hard drive (my "vault") until needed.
I have multiple computers, so I'd like to have multiple mirrors. Could these be maintained on the same "vault"? I suspect they could, within different partitions. But could they also be maintained in separate folders, or does it need to be separate partitions?
And... is there another way to do same thing besides a mirror? I've never used a restore disk (because I've never done a good job of planning ahead). Would this work as well? And if so, could I store multiple "restore disks" on an external hard drive, same questions about the partitioning.

thanks for your help and regards