My husband making an electronic toy that plugs in, will he burn down house? Is he using the right thing?

My husband is making a toy for our daughter. He wants to make it so when she puts all the pieces in their spot the light comes on, but if any pieces are in the wrong spot it won't. This will plug into the wall in the playroom. His plan is to use reed switches and magnets. put the magnets in the pieces and they... show more My husband is making a toy for our daughter. He wants to make it so when she puts all the pieces in their spot the light comes on, but if any pieces are in the wrong spot it won't. This will plug into the wall in the playroom.

His plan is to use reed switches and magnets. put the magnets in the pieces and they will activate the closed reed switch. He wants to link 8 of them together to complete the circuit, so there will be 8 pieces to put in place. He wants to have the switches (which look like little tubes) in the box and a magnet in the piece.

Will this work? Is he going to burn down the house? Any suggestions?