Do wooden slats for beds require varnish?

if so, which types of wood would require it? I got this bed but the slats seeem iffy...they re cracked on the sides little cheap looking and just concerned about bug infestation is this normal or do they need a varnish? I am unsure of the wood material. here is a pic of the side. Just wanna know from experts... show more if so, which types of wood would require it?

I got this bed but the slats seeem iffy...they re cracked on the sides little cheap looking and just concerned about bug infestation

is this normal or do they need a varnish? I am unsure of the wood material. here is a pic of the side. Just wanna know from experts if this is something to worry about or leave be?
Update: see at the top of the slat some little chips in there . I just wanna know if this will cause problems later on or if its perfectly normal