If someone is walking towards you in an aggressive manner and you think they will attack you is it still self defense if you hit them first?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, "self-defense" never requires you to let someone hit you first. Many people are killed by one punch. The laws vary from place to place, but the general rule is that you may use "reasonable and necessary force" to stop the attack, if your apprehension of the imminent attack is ALSO reasonable, under the circumstances. That means that things like your prior knowledge of the person's violent nature, or the fact that the person is wearing an official uniform of some kind, or other reasons you might know the attack is real or not, may become factors when you are charged and have to prove justification as "self-defense".

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No.

• Joey
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It would. But I would prepare myself and if he makes a first move all hell would break lose.

• 2 years ago

No

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I suffer from the same random muscle spasms when I sense an impending strike. It feels almost involuntary. I have in the past blocked a punch that was meant for the wall beside my head and then slapped the pretend attacker in the face with the top of my foot while I watched it all in amazement. Such a thing should be a conscious choice. It's terrible to respond without deciding. It means I really never know what I might do.

If you were able to prove that the manner in which the person approached you were the common signs of an impending attack, and convince a jury that they might have done the same, you might successfully plead self defense. But like me, you're currently stuck with the fact that you're not really in control of yourself. In cases such as these, I'm not that sorry about it.

• 2 years ago

No, this actually happened to me, I nearly got arressted for it

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Your answer says "no", but your explanation says "yes".

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

lol no...

unless as someone already said u are a cop

then u can do pretty much anything and call it self-defense

but just because someone (especially a cop) calls something "self-defense" doesn't make it so

• 2 years ago

No

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

So, in theory, you have to survive the first punch in order to fight back in "self-defense"? Not true.

• 2 years ago

no, unless you can prove it was in fear of your life, which would be pretty hard

• David
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

No

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.