Is conceal carry a pain, is it worth it?

Best Answer

It is a pain, but it is worth it.

When carrying concealed, there is a compromise between comfort and some things that you would normally want in a gun, like capacity and size. Where you end up on the scale is a matter of personal preference. For me, a smaller, lighter gun is always preferable. You will tend not to carry a gun if it cannot be carried comfortably.

Being comfortable should never override a gun's ability to defend yourself, though. I have a North American Arms mini revolver in .22LR that might as well be a keychain. It's effortless to carry, but has none of the features that I'd want: weak caliber, single action, spur trigger, and so inaccurate that it has difficulty hitting a pie plate at 7 feet. I would advise against a CC gun with a manual safety to disengage. I've forgotten to do this dozens of times at the range, with zero pressure and all the time in the world. Get a weapon that you can point and shoot.

For me, the sweet spot is my Kahr CW380. The .380 ACP is a shorter version of the 9mm, and I feel is the weakest cartridge that should be used for self defense. Others disagree, and demand a full 9mm, and occasionally an even more potent cartridge. I also have a Smith&Wesson J-frame revolver in .38 special. I like revolvers for concealed carry (they can be fired reliably from inside a pocket or bag, for example), but I carry inside the waistband, and the cylinder is definitely noticeable in my hip.

A factor that many people who are new to carrying concealed overlook, is the holster. Get a good quality holster that is designed for your gun, and one that is designed to be worn as you intend to carry the gun. I find that holsters that are designed to be reconfigured to carry in a number of positions don't tend to be very comfortable in any of the positions they are capable of.

Get some reliable self defense ammunition, and practice with it. Buy only bonded jacketed hollow point ammunition. None of the "safety" ammunition, or the reduced recoil stuff. Practice drawing and shooting, and run at least two boxes through a semi-auto, or whatever the manufacturer recommends as a break-in. You can safely use cheaper ammunition to practice with a revolver.

Please don't let concealed carry change your behavior. Don't stop avoiding dangerous situations because you now have a gun. Don't go looking for trouble, don't hope that "somebody tries something." Don't think you're a plainclothes cop, and you're going to keep everybody safe. FYI, if you do have to draw or fire your gun, and a cop shows up on the scene, they will shoot you. Think about what your actions will look like to someone that just arrived.

You know what they say, "If it's a pain, maybe you're doing it wrong". A proper holster for your weapon will make it less of a pain. If you're talking about permits or licenses to carry concealed, it may be time to move to a different state where no such permit or license is required. THAT would be a pain.

As far as the tradeoffs go: if you believe you need to carry concealed, then learn to do it properly, learn the laws and sty in practice. How bad would it feel to own the weapon, but not have it where you need it the once in your lifetime it really matters? Try to carry everywhere you go. If you don't think you need to do that, then maybe don't carry at all.

Just remember, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you."

It will give you a false measure of security.

• rlvjav

Just where do you think you'll be concealing your gun? Buy a holster - much less painful than inserting it somewhere.

• Nuff Sed
      2 years agoReport

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first read the Q.

• abdul

That just depends on how badly you want or need to carry a concealed weapon. The govt jurisdictions that issue these make permits make them pricey, and somewhat difficult to obtain.

Not a pain. Totally worth it. It takes a while for the permit to come in, but totally, 100% worth the money and wait.

• I am speaking from my experience. I had to wait a while for my permit to come in. I was saying it's 100% worth the money and the wait.

It's a massive pain. Most public places do not allow it.

However, it is worthwhile if your personal threat level should suddenly increase i.e. natural disaster, crazy neighbors, estranged relationships etc.