Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 years ago

Can I feed my cat two different brands (one being a Prescription diet) as long as I slowly introduce it?

I m switching my cats to Hill s Prescription Science Diet Urinary Care C/D because one of my cats has a inconclusive urinary issue and the vet said it s safe to have them all on it regardless, anyways I wanted to get Wellness Wet food because it comes in BPA free trays (or so they say) and it s a lot easier to feed them wet food in trays because I can just recycle them after instead of washing bowls but I don t know if it would take away the effect of the Urinary Care factor or cause them to be sick.

Note- The Prescription Science Diet Urinary Care C/D (dry food) would be the daily primary diet.

• Laura
    Favorite Answer

From my own personal research, science diet is not that great. The first ingredient is real chicken, but the other 4 ingredients are fillers. Cats can't digest corn, and whole grains stress their system because they are difficult to be broken down.

Many vets like science diet because there is research to back up their claims, but I have not been able to find where the research comes from, of it is independently researched or not.

Feeding canned food helps keep your cats hydrated, which will help with urinary issues. I think that wellness is a great food, they have recently gone carrageenan free as well with their new recipe.

As far as just switching food goes, I would do one then the other. Personally, I would start with wet food, giving a portion of wet food and letting them get used to that for a week or two, then gradually slowly switching the dry food.

• Laura
      2 years agoReport

With a company as large as they are, and with so many endorsements, it would be so easy for them to reach out to an independent company to validate their findings, but that either hans't happened, or it has and the results were different so its been hidden.

yes combination of brands are ok but it all depends what in it

Source(s): iAmDim.weebly.com

NOT dry..no matter what you feed a cat with kidney/urinary problems. They don't drink enough water to keep things healthy. If you must feed prescription food...make it canned. And good luck getting them to eat it. My cat would starve rather than eat it. I had to go back to Wellness.

• Ken S

Sigh

Feed the wellness canned. If you want your cat's life shortened then feed the hills as that stuff is probably the least healthy stuff that any cat could eat.

That hills crap is a good source for diabetes, kidney disease blockages obesity.

Please Please Please read this site and learn

www.catinfo.org

• Simple

Follow your vet advice pls

• Aziza2 years agoReport

I'm just asking because I can't afford another vet fee just to ask them this question. (Questions are like $75)