Can you pay someone to handle your investments for you?

I have about $10k saved that I would like to use for investing, however, I know as much about investing as you would about rocket science. The numbers I see on the Wall Street pages of the newspaper might as well be written in Greek...and I know for a fact that if I were to open a trading account and start myself,... show more I have about $10k saved that I would like to use for investing, however, I know as much about investing as you would about rocket science. The numbers I see on the Wall Street pages of the newspaper might as well be written in Greek...and I know for a fact that if I were to open a trading account and start myself, that 10K would probably be gone in 2 weeks flat.

Is it possible to pay someone who knows what they are doing, eats sleeps and breathes the numbers, know when to buy or sell, and his daytime job is keeping an ear to the market? I'm just trying to be smart about this--and admitting that you don't know what the hell you're doing should be considered that!