UK. Rat problem. Some while ago, we noticed up to 4 rats around in our small suburban garden. They were coming in after the bird seed.?

We stopped feeding the birds and removed all food from out there and contacted a Vermin control company who quoted us £150 for 2 calls outs. Not being able to afford that, we bought a tub of Rentokill Mouse & Rat Killer Pasta Bait. To date the rats haven't touched it (it's in 2 rat boxes we already... show more We stopped feeding the birds and removed all food from out there and contacted a Vermin control company who quoted us £150 for 2 calls outs. Not being able to afford that, we bought a tub of Rentokill Mouse & Rat Killer Pasta Bait. To date the rats haven't touched it (it's in 2 rat boxes we already had) . I've contacted Rentokill for assistance but would welcome advice re products THAT WORK.
Update: @YaShayES I'd rather not use traps. I just want rid of 'em. However, I've already decided to add some of the seed they were originally after, to what's in the boxes.
Update 2: Although our local Council used to do this for free, they no longer do so it's £150. or DIY. Times is hard!