How much information should I share with the recruiter?

Hi,

I am a software engineer and have been out of work for 10-12 months now. I had an issue with my previous employer and am not on good terms with him now. I am doing my job search and I always get confused or perplexed when answering questions like why I am looking for a new job?.I am currently not sharing that I am out of work. How should I answer this question and handle this situation?

Favorite Answer

Just tell him you are always seeking new challenges in the ever-moving software industry. Instead of saying you are out of work, you can tell him you were taking a break to pursue your other interests in life before moving back to software jobs. It also helps to say that you are working on new ideas for apps or projects on your own while you were out of work or doing some contract jobs.

Most importantly, these days, companies want to know if you are a good team person and are you able to work hard in stressful environment..etc

• tro

you are out of work because the job was not a good fit for you

if you have the experience the job requires, and you present a good application you should be considered

At some point, they are going to ask where you are working now. You can't avoid telling them that you are out of work.

• Greg

You will not get away with hiding that you are out of work.

Depends on what kind of issue you had. Simple personality conflict? He was an ****** you finally could not tolerate any more? You were not doing your job right or were having other problems they could not tolerate in you any more? Etc. One answer is that the last job was not a good fit between you and the company, or it was not going to allow you future opportunities in your field, and you have notice before lining up another job. I have seen several books on how to answer interview questions about a gap in employment.

How are you hiding the fact you are not working now? If you are lying on your resume then that can definitely get you in trouble because lying is a complete taboo. Unless you are claiming to be self employed at something. There is nothing wrong with taking time to be selective about what job you choose to accept as long as you are not snooty about it, especially since your last job did not pan out. You hopefully have been thinking about career goals or some such.

denno