Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 3 years ago

Going back to school in the middle of the year?

I'm a freshman (9th grade) and at the moment I am freaking out. I left the main high school here to home school for personal reasons a few weeks into the beginning of the year. My mom recently decided she wants to put me back in (the middle of the year) , and I am terrified. I went long enough for teachers and students to recognize me (but no real friends) and I don't know how I am going to explain the situation, why I left, and I am also not looking forward to being the only student with zero friends. It is a huge school and when I went I was scared to even walk down the halls cause I would usually get lost, and I almost always ate lunch alone because I knew nobody. I am a kinda shy and quiet person so I am not great at the whole social thing. I am scared to take the classes and I have a fear that I will be behind on what they are learning or come in the middle of a big project... Please help. I just need advice, or someone who has gone through something similar, or anyone... I am just really scared.

• Kyle
    Favorite Answer

don't worry about it. i think once you get to school, start going to classes, you'll be better. it's more of the anxiety than anything that gets most people worked up.

before you start, do some research of the school. look online and see what extra curricular activities they have. join something you have interests in, whatever it maybe. sports, music, arts, dance, computers, auto shop, whatever. if you do something you enjoy doing, it'll be easier to make friends whom already have similar interests.

use school as an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone a little. be brave and say high to the kid next to you in class. say you're new at the school. you can explain your situation if you want, but you don't have too. as you said, it's personal reasons, and no one else's business to know.

most high schools have dedicated freshmen groups and other activities to help get to know other people and do stuff together. again, look online or talk with a counselor of what's available, and how to join.

in class, don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know or to repeat something. you will likely never be the one with the only question in mind, and are afraid to ask, but someone needs to do it. and if you are the only one with that question, maybe no one else thought of it and will learn something new about it. if you need help with classes, see if teachers can help afterwards, or if your school offers a tutoring program. some kids take it for extra work, or just help with studying. sometimes teachers do it, some times older kids do it who have taken the classes already.

i would just go, you'll get used to it after a while