Ebay. Can somebody explain to me how the last minute 'swoop' option on an auction works. I was after something on there, put a?

reasonably higher bid in than what was showing in the last minute, and bang, in the final second I was outbid by 50p above my 'highest bit' which wasn't disclosed. I had NO time to react. Flippin annoying.
Update: Indeed DaveB. As a buyer only, I've only suffered this a few times and yes, I do tend to buy more via Amazon these days. However, this was an old-style vacuum, a model we'd have before it died and were forced to buy one of the new kind, the result EU regulations (re power). The individual who outbid me... show more Indeed DaveB. As a buyer only, I've only suffered this a few times and yes, I do tend to buy more via Amazon these days. However, this was an old-style vacuum, a model we'd have before it died and were forced to buy one of the new kind, the result EU regulations (re power). The individual who outbid me was clearly expert (4-figure rating) but I'm not amused. Interesting that this is a #1 complaint Ebay get. Hey ho - I've saved my money LOL.