Carlos asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

Is there a way to wash out a lot of sodium (salt) from canned food ?

• .
    Favorite Answer

Rinse it. It does help some. I rinse the veggies (mostly canned green beans or peas) before I prepare them, and I often by the "low sodium" variety when it's available, as well. Some of the sodium and any other preservatives used will have been absorbed by the veggies in the can, but rinsing gets rid of some of it, and of course all of it that was still in the liquid in the can (if you just dump the entire contents of the can into a saucepan, then you're consuming the salt/preservatives in the juice as well).

Yes. If you're wanting something like fruit, pasta etc. that has a very high amount of sodium in it, you can put it into a strainer, and wash it. This way, it does wash off some of it, but the best avoidance of sodium is to look for products that have less sodium. These are generally items like fresh, and organic foods.

I will rinse fruit and vegetables in water, that will get rid of some of the salt. There are some things like canned chinese vegetables that I will let soak in water for 10 minutes then give them a good rinse.

• Gert

Sure. Put them into a strainer and rinse them under running water.

• Chris

No

• Adam D

You can rinse off most canned goods after opening them, removing any sodium from the surface of the food, but if they had sodium in the canning "juices", some of that will work its way into the foods themselves.

Look for "no sodium added" options.

No. Buy ones without sodium.

Nope plus canned food is very bad